Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 25-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
dymmy
Egg

Default help with my hermann

Hi, I need some advice on what temp to keep my tortoise table at and a few other pointers. I understand he needs a cool end, a hide and a basking area. However his table is 60cm x 60cm is this too small for a 2 year old, 170g 10cm hermann. Also he has a 75w Exo Terra Sun Glo UV Basking Bulb. With a reptiglow 13w (5 UVB) for basking on his welsh slate tile. A habba hut which he isnt too kean on. A water dish he ignores (i have never seen him drink) although I bath him twice weekly and have seen him pass the 'toothpaste' looking fluids. He gets vitamins (reptavite) twice a week and as varied a diet as I can find with limited knowledge. I'm growing some weeds and flowers in pots c/o shelledwarriorshop The problem is I do not have any central heating in my apartement, its currently around 20 degrees thanks to the neighbour having some but it wont be warm for much longer. I need to sort out his thermo regulation ASAP in order to prevent him from hibernating as I have decided he is only 2 and been with us for 6 weeks now, is this a bad decision ? Are the infrared bulbs the best way to keep his table warm as i understand heat matts are incorrect due to heat from above being the correct method. I have covered the lot in one post and I hope I am being a good parent but definately need some advice. thx
dymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

temp wise at warm end should be about 32C, mine occasionaly goes up to 36C.
cool end should be lower 20's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The toothpaste looking fluids are normal, dont worry.

I'm not sure about the lights if they have sufficient UVB, but the first light I bought an exo terra 13w 5 UVB light emitted hardly any UVB at all. So i bought a 100w megaray. If you google Yahoo groups UVB meter owners there should be a report up on there or on the UK UVB Guide about your light and how much UVB it gives off....
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

2ft x 2ft is a bit small really, it's best to have it as big as you can.

if using the basking bulb + UVB bulb method it's best to have a 10.0 or 12.0 UVB bulb (for redfoots, 5.0 is fine)

As said above 32c is about the minimum basking temp and 32-35c being in about what you want but if it goes higher then they just move away from the bulb a bit, that's where having a bigger table benefits, they need to escape the heat if they want. About 20c at cool end is fine but again, if it's cooler than that then they simply come closer to the heat. A slate isn't great for a basking spot as it can become too hot to sit on.

Heat mats can be used so long as they are used properly, opinion is divided on them but in the wild they get heat from below also as the ground is warm. Look up some threads on heat mats in the search facility.

They don't always drink when you are looking so water must always be available. A bath once a day will help prevent dehydration and the formation of bladder stones and it also encourages them to drink which in turn may help prevent pyramiding of the shell (Manuel Wegehaupt theory) and you should give reptivite or Nutrobal daily since your UVB bulb is only 5.0, most people give it daily or every second day in any case.

You need to provide extra calcium in the form of limestone flour or calci dust and also a cuttlefish bone which provides calcium and helps keep the beak in trim even though they only eat it now and again
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
dymmy
Egg

thx, I forgot to mention he does have a cuttlefish bone and loves to munch it on occasion. I have decided to build a bigger box, and provide enough topsoil to dig down into. Also a thermostatically controlled heat mat of 28w under said topsoil. His old box will be available to him also once the weeds and flowers have grown. Also his pool area will improve and a 100w megaray is on order. The tiles I will use to feed him on and slightly slope them for extra nail trimming. So far so good ?
Old 26-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Watermelon
Adult

Very good Dont forget to make little hills in your tortoise table so it makes em exercise a bit.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
dymmy
Egg

oh my goodness, I have read far too much information on the subject of basking lights. I almost ordered the megaray then got scared off due to reliability, then the Hagen but it seems it doesnt produce enough UVB for very long. Next was Arcadia and that too has issues I am totally confused, any ideas however I did order some limestone powder
Old 27-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
NATURALIS
Adult

i use arcadia d3 uvb/heat bulb's at the moment and have to say i'm pleased with them.

Last edited by NATURALIS; 29-08-2011 at 03:07 AM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
EJ
Adult

The white stuff... urates... are usually a sign of dehydration or feeding plants high in oxalic acid.

The tortoise does not need a cool end but more of a temperature range. 75 to 90F is a good temperature range for a hermanns. It should have a choice.

On the water dish... place it against a wall or in the corner so the tortoise is sure to find it.

In your climate you might want to consider a viv so you can regulate the temperatures better/easier.

Diet... look into the many pelleted diets that you can supplement with the weeds. It will make your life easier and your tortoises life healthier.

Infrared bulbs are not a good thing because they are very difficult to control.

A heat mat is another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymmy View Post
Hi, I need some advice on what temp to keep my tortoise table at and a few other pointers. I understand he needs a cool end, a hide and a basking area. However his table is 60cm x 60cm is this too small for a 2 year old, 170g 10cm hermann. Also he has a 75w Exo Terra Sun Glo UV Basking Bulb. With a reptiglow 13w (5 UVB) for basking on his welsh slate tile. A habba hut which he isnt too kean on. A water dish he ignores (i have never seen him drink) although I bath him twice weekly and have seen him pass the 'toothpaste' looking fluids. He gets vitamins (reptavite) twice a week and as varied a diet as I can find with limited knowledge. I'm growing some weeds and flowers in pots c/o shelledwarriorshop The problem is I do not have any central heating in my apartement, its currently around 20 degrees thanks to the neighbour having some but it wont be warm for much longer. I need to sort out his thermo regulation ASAP in order to prevent him from hibernating as I have decided he is only 2 and been with us for 6 weeks now, is this a bad decision ? Are the infrared bulbs the best way to keep his table warm as i understand heat matts are incorrect due to heat from above being the correct method. I have covered the lot in one post and I hope I am being a good parent but definately need some advice. thx
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
NATURALIS
Adult

To the OP read this,
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/vivarium.htm
Old 29-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
EJ
Adult

You've got to wonder what kind of advice you are getting when one of the first statements is that if you can't house a tortoise outdoors... don't get one.

Here's a little more objective source of information that you might find useful. It was written for Russian tortoises but it covers all Testudo...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russian-Tort.../dp/0793828821
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

Last edited by EJ; 29-08-2011 at 04:28 PM.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, indoor, table