Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 25-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
dymmy
Egg

Default help with my hermann

Hi, I need some advice on what temp to keep my tortoise table at and a few other pointers. I understand he needs a cool end, a hide and a basking area. However his table is 60cm x 60cm is this too small for a 2 year old, 170g 10cm hermann. Also he has a 75w Exo Terra Sun Glo UV Basking Bulb. With a reptiglow 13w (5 UVB) for basking on his welsh slate tile. A habba hut which he isnt too kean on. A water dish he ignores (i have never seen him drink) although I bath him twice weekly and have seen him pass the 'toothpaste' looking fluids. He gets vitamins (reptavite) twice a week and as varied a diet as I can find with limited knowledge. I'm growing some weeds and flowers in pots c/o shelledwarriorshop The problem is I do not have any central heating in my apartement, its currently around 20 degrees thanks to the neighbour having some but it wont be warm for much longer. I need to sort out his thermo regulation ASAP in order to prevent him from hibernating as I have decided he is only 2 and been with us for 6 weeks now, is this a bad decision ? Are the infrared bulbs the best way to keep his table warm as i understand heat matts are incorrect due to heat from above being the correct method. I have covered the lot in one post and I hope I am being a good parent but definately need some advice. thx
dymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

temp wise at warm end should be about 32C, mine occasionaly goes up to 36C.
cool end should be lower 20's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The toothpaste looking fluids are normal, dont worry.

I'm not sure about the lights if they have sufficient UVB, but the first light I bought an exo terra 13w 5 UVB light emitted hardly any UVB at all. So i bought a 100w megaray. If you google Yahoo groups UVB meter owners there should be a report up on there or on the UK UVB Guide about your light and how much UVB it gives off....
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
NATURALIS
Adult

ok, to start with your table is abit to small for a 2yr old hermanns tortoise 4ft by 2ft would be a better size , for substrate i use top soil mixed with a little play sand ( the soil needs to be kept damp ) for this i use a mist sprayer and spray it each night .
The temps need to be 34/6c hot end and around 20c at the cool end to achive this place the lamp at one end , the best lamp ( at the moment ) is the arcadia d3 uvb/heat lamp , other wise you could use a 12% uvb tube and seperate heat spot bulb , tubes need to be fairly close to the tortoise to get any real usable uvb and need changing at least every 6 mths if not sooner . Ceramic bulb's are great for night time heat , i use these set on a timer and stat , strong light is important if you want to keep this tortoise going through the winter . Hope this help's to start with.

Last edited by NATURALIS; 29-08-2011 at 05:03 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
dymmy
Egg

thx, I am not sure how a new thread got started, but this is good advice. It says on the new lamp packaging to set the lamp at 48 inches above the enclosure surely this is wrong. Its a 125W Solar glo. Not sure why I bought it instead of the Arcadia probably too much advice and reading. Must remeber to check dates on advice as a lot of it is old news and not current.I built him a new table, this one is 5ft x 2 ft he is much happier. I am planning to have a soil based area of around 1/3 rd of the table the rest is Aspen substrate as he seems to enjoy burying himself in that more. I will mist it as often as possible to keep it from simply being dust. I am unsure about keeping him through the winter as hibernation seems to be a natural occurance and I believe necessary for his health, is this correct or as he is a youngster would it be ok to keep him awake. I have ordered a thermometer(digital with memory and alarm) a thermostat, with probe and heat mat and a decent bulb holder and shade to use with the 125w lamp. Do not worry about the mat as I have read about these and have created an external cavity under part of his table to put it and am closely monitoring it before I use it properly. This is due to the lack of central heating in my home. I am actually quite envious of his setup and the heating he will be enjoying while I freeze to death next door in my bedroom. I am currently using his old table to grow weeds and flowers and will soon be placing it next to but above his new one where he can climb via a carefully built ramp into his roofgarden of food. A good idea I think as they will get some light from his lamp if its placed right. Let me know your thoughts but thx in advance for your advice.
dymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Geomyda
Adult

Reading this thread, I am a little confused. In your first post, you state you are using a 75 W Solarglo, in the last it states a 125 W Solaglo
Overall, it occurs to me that you represent a very typical new tortoise keeper whom has angst over the conditions to provide. This angst tends to heighten as we approach the first winter of captive husbandry, with all the attendant concerns over "hibernate, or not hibernate".
Too me, the best response is to join a local Tortoise group, attend their frequent meetings where you will learn first hand from a good number of experienced keepers and perhaps even get some mentoring from the sort of buddy system that some groups adopt in their operation.
in london, or at least in the surrounding areas I can think of two or three such groups which would perhaps benefit you in this project?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, indoor, table