Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I think Jade's tort may be an indian star - might be wrong and apologies if I am. should be weeds above lettuce anytime though I am a sucker for the crunch of iceberg with some of mine v v occasionally. trouble is they then expect it, CB
Yes they would:0)
As its the same as children eating hamburgers all the time:0)
And too much lettuce can also produce runny poos.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Jadeo09
Egg

She's an Indian star your right so she doesn't hibernate that's why I'm having difficulties.

Thanks for the advice about the pre Alpen cobs I'll look into it.
Jadeo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Jadeo09
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
It also says to mix in high fibre too, which is either dried tortoise food or weeds. There are still plenty enough weeds growing in the Winter to feed up to four tortoises. Bittercress, mallow, plantains and dandies and perenial campanula just to name a few. Ok they are not so lush but they are there.
I grow plants in sheltered places in my garden so if I have to keep any of mine up (thanfully not often) I have plants suitable for them.
Is there any reason you are not hibernating you tortoises?
As hibernation stops all the problems of junk foods and your tortoises growing to fast:0)
I have already mentioned that before you
I said quote
"The key to feeding lettuce without runny poos is feeding with hay they recommend readigrass"
Old 11-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #14
Stellanne
Hatchling

I guess one of the problems with winter feeding is the dark, cold, wet days for weed walking. I found weeds keep really well in a plastic containers in the fridge so a walk once a week could actually get enough weeds to be part of a main diet and maybe supplemented with mixed lettuce leaves. X x x hugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
Jadeo09
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
It also says to mix in high fibre too, which is either dried tortoise food or weeds. There are still plenty enough weeds growing in the Winter to feed up to four tortoises. Bittercress, mallow, plantains and dandies and perenial campanula just to name a few. Ok they are not so lush but they are there.
I grow plants in sheltered places in my garden so if I have to keep any of mine up (thanfully not often) I have plants suitable for them.
Is there any reason you are not hibernating you tortoises?
As hibernation stops all the problems of junk foods and your tortoises growing to fast:0)
I don't believe in picking weeds from random places its not worth the risk as you can never be sure that they are safe
I'm not allowed to grow weeds in my garden as its not my house or my choice.
So I have to grow weeds in pots. And I use lettuce to bulk up what I feed her.
She's an star tortoise so she doesn't hibernate that's why I'm having these issues and why tortoise trust recommends lettuce to people
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #16
Jadeo09
Egg

I feed her mixed lettuce as suggested but I'm struggling with the rotation part because there isn't enough bags that I know are edible.
They don't sell separate lettuces that she can eat where I am from, so I have to buy the mixes.
I use Timothy hay that has an extremely high fiber content along with calcium and dried flower and weed mix.
I feed her weeds when available
And opuntia pesticide free cactuses from glenhirst cactus nursery.

She has a zoo med vitamin block for vitamins and to wear her beak down
Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
Jadeo09
Egg

I add the Timothy hay ect every day mixed in with the lettuce to be clearer
Old 11-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #18
Stellanne
Hatchling

Where do you live Jade x x x hugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #19
Jadeo09
Egg

Smile

Cheshire
It's near liverpool
Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #20
Pussygalore
Adult

I think you'll find that Florrettes is the only bagged 'lettuce' or mix that doesn't use bleach in the water its washed in so unless you have a shop that sells whole plants I'd steer clear of some of the other brands, You can buy the living salads and just pick what you need. I used readi grass for bedding with my Ibera and young sully but neither would eat it so tried the pre alpine cobs which when soaked will stick to most other leaves so get eaten, they are high fiber. As for picking weeds don't bother with parks etc but if you go out in the care then have a bag with you as a lot of verges and walks do have weeds all year and with a good rinse they will keep a week or so in the fridge and won't be sprayed as are the parks etc.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote