Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
*laura*

Default cyprus

anyone ever been to cyprus? me and my boyfriend went pricing holidays yesterday and one in cyprus came up really cheap, and now i got my heart set on it, but a lot of people have said how expensive it is and i was wondering if anyone here has been there and can shed some light on the country for me?!?

also they have been scaring me as its near iraq and iran, is there anything to worry about?!?

xxxx
Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Dazza
Adult

we went a few years back and had a fantastic time, did'nt find it overly expensive!!

Am sure you will have a blast !!

Dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
niamherrity
Adult

I was there before the euro change over I didn't find it expensive, it's like when at home do what suits your budget

Anyway how much does it take to sit by the pool in the sunshine with a beer mmmmmmmm go have a ball
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Lilacarchie
Incubating

Hi Laura,

It's not raelly too near Iran or Iraq

Syria, Lebanon and Israel are closer

Look up a map on google
Lilacarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi laura,

I was in Larnaca 3 years ago, it was a great holiday, the euor changeover was cruel, but to be hounest its much the same as euro to sterling so you shouldnt see too much difference.

We hired a car and travelled a bit, Aya Napa is fantasic if you like clear see through sea and white sand and of course the mad nite life.

It is near the middle eastern counties alright but the main problem in cyprus is the conflict between the greeks and the turks as to the ownership of the island, but you should be ok there, there is still British Camps stationed there.

Here is a picture of some caves near aya napa just as a taster.

And the white sandy beach with clear water.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
sophiewins
Incubating

Hi Laura
My dad has got a place in Cyprus, near Paphos and I have been there about six times in the last three years. It is a really nice, relaxed country with great weather, beaches, scenery etc. They still use the Cyprus Pound which is worth more than our pound which is a little confusing cos I am used to our money being worth more when I change it! I don't find it expensive for food, drink etc although it is not as cheap as Portugal for example. The best places to eat are off the tourist trap, in the more local places which are great value for money and the food is usually better. The food is great, loads of salads, fresh meats, lovely cheese etc!

Just writing this is making me want to go back! If you do decide to go there, let me know where and I will give you some ideas of where to go if it is near where we visit.

Hope this helps

Sophie
sophiewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
sophiewins
Incubating

I forgot to say that you don't realise how close to Iraq and Iran you are when you are there and it doesn't feel unsafe as a result. There are a few British army bases and a RAF base out there.

Sophie
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Hi Laura
I have never actually been, but my mother has been on a few occassions and she cant say enough about it! Go you will have a great time!
Just make sure you post loads of pictures when you have been
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
*laura*

aw thank you everyone i think i have decided this is definatly where i want to go, them photos of the caves look stunning!!

i will definatly be PM'ing you aswell sophie, get all the tips on where to go then hehe, im soooooo excited! bought a new bikini today to, lol!!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
sophiewins
Incubating

Laura
I am soooo jealous. Esp as it is meant to be v warm out there at the mo, I think they are having a heatwave. We went out in May and unfortunately it rained for half the week. I was not impressed!

Dont let that put you off thought, it is was very unusual weather for them.

Sophie