Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 21-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #21
emma_mcraf
Adult

Amazing! You have done a stirling job there Daryn. Your posts are going to offer such valuable inspiration and information to others. Well done.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Herpard
Adult

Brilliant!!

If I remember correctly though you can't use builders limestone for tortoises?
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Daryn
Hatchling

Thanks everyone for the comments, Herpard Ill look into that before I put them in, it was a conversation I had with someone else, we discussed limestone flour in the soil to make the plants more rich in minerals and calcium etc We spoke about decorative limestone's and mixing them in the soil, it would obviously help with drainage but we thought one of the benefits would be over time releasing the minerals and calcium into the soil.

Limestone flour is great for torts or so Ive read in my studies so thought this would be a great addition, Ill hang fire I don't want to get anything wrong now after all this hard work.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
Daryn
Hatchling

No tort today folks, the lady quite rightfully wants to have a look at what I have done first so it wont be until next week now as she is away for the weekend.

I also told her that if she has changed her mind I would understand as she has had her since a hatchling, so if it comes to that the enclosure is ready anyway for any others that come along.

Old 27-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #25
Lucozade
Egg

Send a message via MSN to Lucozade

That looks awesome, do you want to build one for me? lol
Old 27-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
Daryn
Hatchling

Thank you Lucozade and it would be a pleasure if you lived close enough, Im happy to help anyone out if I can........................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fitted a simple A-frame today as there was to much rain water sitting on the top, 15 minutes work plain simple but does the trick, I will be putting more waterproof material over the A-frame on the top right to protect the electrics where I am going to have to fit a basking light, the height inside the enclosure was not high enough so this will also solve that little problem so a big thanks to a friend on another forum for mentioning that simple little fix, the weather has been dreadful here and the enclosure is just not going to be warm enough, Ive had to make it off set so I can open the hatch but it will keep the basking lamp in one corner out of the way but will get tort nice and warm. The cover is keeping everything nice and dry and Im sure when the spring comes back it will act like a greenhouse and warm everything up.

On this photo you can see I now have a run off for the rain, cant believe I didn't think about that I had a small pond on the top this morning lol.

Old 29-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
Daryn
Hatchling

Good news is the lady who owns the tort came today to have a look at what I have done and she was thrilled with it and is bringing her over tomorrow for me.

Old 29-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #28
Daryn
Hatchling

Ok folks today the lady came to inspect my enclosure and was thrilled with what I have done, she informed me that the tort HAS been out all the time in her garden and there was me worrying that she might think my enclosure would not be hot enough lol. Anyway Ive bought a heat lamp reflector and have a question for you,

A friend give me a link to the type of bulb he uses a 120 watt security spot lamp ( dont forget I only want it for heat not UV as she will get that outside), the pet shop tried to sell me a really expensive one with no guarantee, she also told me I would need a thermostat, what are your thoughts on me needing a thermostat in my enclosure, its not totally sealed and air can circulate through it, I will buy one if its needed but just want to see what you think first.

You can see the size of my enclosure here and Ive since fitted a small A-Frame so I can hang the basking light from above the mesh so the lamp will be 17'' above the bottom or a bit more if need be, I'm also not sure what size bulb to buy, my friend told me his is a 125watt. Any thoughts folks before I fit this.

Dont forget it does have a cover over the top

Last edited by Daryn; 29-08-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 30-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #29
Daryn
Hatchling

Nothing shy about this tortoise (renamed Terri by my daughter), in the enclosure and straight for the food

I opened the side hatch and wow she was away woooooooooooooooooosh

So there you go you have the full story from start to finish, I just need to experiment more with the heating and we will be sorted.

Old 31-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
pebsmeboy
Hatchling

One very lucky Tortoise....you have done an amazing job it all
looks fantastic...can I ask where you got the green mesh cover...
I have been looking for one just like it.
Thanks

Mum to 2 beautiful Hermanns
Pebbledash and Speedy
pebsmeboy is offline   Reply With Quote