Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
doshinski
Egg

Default To Hibernate, or not to Hibernate, that is the question

Hi all, just wanted to get your thoughts,

my 2 year old hermann who I have had for 5 months has recently become very lively since I turned my central heating on, more lively than i have ever seen him and eating well, I'm not sure if i should hibernate him as he doesn't seem to want to wind down at all! I would have to fridge hibernate him as I dont have a garage and im a little worried if i do, he will be back to his lazy ways when he gets woken up again, he is currently 75mm and 106g which looks about right on the jackson ratio, what do you think?

thanks!
doshinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
swad1000
Adult

Theres no reason hibernation would make him slow down again after you have hibernated.

By the same token if you haven't had him long and haven't really prepared to hibernate this year, I'd overwinter him and then see what you feel like next year with regards to hibernation.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
TortBabe
Adult

I agree with Swad, best to get to know him better and think about it next year
Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
EJ
Adult

hmmm... why does that not surprise me.

I'm sure you've read through the hibernation/brumation conversations. Everybody has their own beliefs on the topic... mine is that if the tortoise is happy... why make it unhappy.

Your decision is if the rest period is necessary for the good health of the tortoise or not... I believe it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshinski View Post
Hi all, just wanted to get your thoughts,

my 2 year old hermann who I have had for 5 months has recently become very lively since I turned my central heating on, more lively than i have ever seen him and eating well, I'm not sure if i should hibernate him as he doesn't seem to want to wind down at all! I would have to fridge hibernate him as I dont have a garage and im a little worried if i do, he will be back to his lazy ways when he gets woken up again, he is currently 75mm and 106g which looks about right on the jackson ratio, what do you think?

thanks!
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
Steph37
Hatched

If you keep him inside then I guess he will happily stay up all year-cos winding them down inside would be quite difficult I'd imagine. Mine were all outside so really just went with nature-I only took them into the shed when the temperatures at night were going to be below 8-10 degrees & continued putting them out in the day. Then over last 4-6 weeks I just put them under spotlights in shed, decreasing temperatures and times until they have digested all they have found/chosen to graze on over the summer, but pretty much they've done it themselves-but-if they lived indoors I probably would choose not to hibernate - only from a convenience point of view-plus the tortoise might not 'take the lead' in winding itself down like they usually do if outside. Their behaviour really is due to their environment (although they do have their own personalities of course) so I guess he would get lazy again if in same environment!! Maybe he needs more heat throughout other times of the year do you think?? How will you wind him down? Would you put him in the garage with extra heat so it drops slowly? If I were you I'd do what Swad and Tortbabe suggest and get to know him better before hiberanting?
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote