Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 17-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
janeL
Sub Adult

I had a Powersun for two and half years before I dropped it. The other I have had for a year. The first was a 100watt the second 160watt. Never had any problems what so ever with these two or the powersuns I have had in the past which have no recollection of timings but all were well over a year!

Hermanns THB 2:3:0
Algerian TGG 1.2.3
Ibera TGI 0.1.0[/CENTER]
janeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
From memory, in the last two years:

2 100w Megaray MVB failed prematurely, 1 other continuing to flicker and cut out.

1 160w Megaray corroded to the point of the internal wiring snapping.

2 Powersun 100 watt, premature failure.

1 Megaray 60w Halide, ballast unit failed after one use.

Lucky Reptile 70w Jungle Halide producing 0 UVB output after 3 months use.

It would have been cheaper to move to Spain.

The T Rex MVB has arrived, we shall see how that performs.
That's horrendous
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
Kirkie
Adult

Tell me about it. I think I'm cursed.

I've got other bulbs that are fine and they've all got surge protecton so I don't think its my electical supply. The UV meter has been a mixed blessing because I'm starting to see just how hit and miss this all is. I'm lucky that I've got a few setups but if I had one bulb for one table and no UV meter I'd have no idea if they were doing what the manufacturer said they were doing.

I've got a couple of compact UV's, one burned in, one new. I might do a few comparisons on those next.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

without my uv meter it would have been hard for me to believe that of my 2 megarays bought at the same time, one was done while the other was miles above average as regards UVB output. ironically and annoyingly it is the high UVB one that has just gone today
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

This thread makes a very interesting read!!

I have had 1 Trex active UV 100w Flood failed during and upto its replacement slightly after 6 month warranty was up due to the record of complaints to supplier and passed onto the main supplier of that lamp in the UK where a replacement was sent out.

The replacement is now over 2 years old and occasssionally would turn itself off in hot weather, now it is quite a regular occurrance so just waiting for the day I see it no longer lighting I will replace it with another trex which I have put by ready to go.

Not sure of levels never checked them as i dont have a UV meter.

Mum had the same bulb which only lasted 1 week, her replacement has been going for 2 years and is still working fine.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #16
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Ade,

I've just got my hands on one of the same T Rex bulbs so I'll be able to provide some amateur UV readings when its up and running.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Thanks Kirkie.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I've had one MegaRay where the metal bit at the bottom turned round in the glass bit and one that flickered and then failed after a few weeks use. The other MegaRays I've had have done quite well with regards to still producing quite a lot of UVB after months of use.

Previously I had a powersun that failed after 3 months prior to which I used a powersun for a year and it seemed alright. But I didn't have a UVB meter then. I agree with Dave, once you get a UVB meter you see these lamps a bit differently.

My personal opnion is that overall these lamps are very unreliable and vary a huge amount, and I'm not referring to any particular one here.
Old 17-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
Kirkie
Adult

I can never resist an experiment!

Straight out of the box, allowed to burn for 20 minutes the T Rex Active UV Heat 100w is reading 185 uW/cm² at 12" and is slowly rising. It's only registering 30-31 degrees C at the same spot with a background temperature of 23 degreesC.

This is below the UVGuide test which registered 294 uW/cm²

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourn...uvheatnewflood

but maybe this was after a longer initial burn. I'll leave it on for a couple of hours and measure again.

I think its important to point out that if you are regularly supplimenting your tortoise with vitamin D3 (Nutrobal for instance) its likely it is getting a good dose of it's requirement from that rather than the lamp.
Old 18-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
Kirkie
Adult

After an hour the bulb is registering 200 uW/cm² at 12" and is still slowly creeping up. If this doesn't deteriorate drastically (minimal deteriation was indicated in the UV Guide report linked above) I'll be well happy.

Ade,
You said you had a spare of these bulbs ready to go, how old is this bulb? I'm not sure when these new bulbs came on the market. My understanding is this new T Rex bulb is made at the same Westron factory as the Megaray and is a Bob MacCarger (Megaray head honcho) desgin. I dont know if this means it's simply a rebadged Megaray but at first look it does appear to be an alternative.

I've heard similar things about the performance of new Komodo range of bulbs but they are retailling at around £80 for some reason!