Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #21
wizzasmum

when you say tree roots do you mean mix them in or lay on the surface?

Mix in as much fibrous material (including tree roots) as possible so that the soil will hold together for them to burrow into.The hemp you mention is fine but you are really being ripped off for prices. It seems you will be spending more than double what you need to and it seems a shame that you are getting ripped off
Old 11-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #22
^TANK^
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootinglou79
hi tank, theres no need to go and spend £56 on those bulbs, you can buy the same uva bulb on ebay for around £20-£25, as you do not need the wiring kit as it looks like it is already built in the table, also i wouldnt pay £20 extra for a plug, wire, and bulb holder neither that price is way out, and you dont really need the other bulb neither for £6 plus postal, just go and buy a 60watt spot bulb like we most do heres the excact same bulb on ebay for far less, and they are good with replacements if need be, hope this has helped. (copy n paste the link, if the link doesnt work )

eBay.co.uk: D3 UV BULB tortoise reptile reptiles vivarium (item 7726568222 end time 13-Jan-07 21:05:14 GMT)
Ive seen them on ebay for £20-£25 but both the fixings on the tortoise table are bayonet fittings so i killed two birds with one stone and got the uvb light with the screw in fitting included i know ive been ripped off abit with the stuff ive brought but i just didnt want the hassel .
^TANK^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

no probs, but you could of easily bought an adaptor too for a few quid on ebay, i have a couple, but you now know for the next time
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #24
nina
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^tank^
Hello nina this is where i got the HEMP REPTILE & SMALL MAMMAL BEDDING 7.5KG from you will need to scroll down abit to find it i hope its goood enough for him. http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/c...%23a6411#a6411
Hi Tank,

Well, I was interested in this, so I just phoned them to ask about their hemp bedding. Unfortunately the woman there said they don't keep the hemp beddings in their shop so she'd never seen it. One thing I remember about aubiose is that it has had the dust extracted, and I had heard that some other hemp products don't have the dust extracted and that can cause irritation to eyes. She didn't know if this one had had the dust extracted. It is more expensive than if you bought a bale of aubiose, but I paid about what you have paid for my aubiose because I don't have room to store a bale , so my local petshop ordered a bale and then split it up to sell me a bag. I knew it was more expensive but had no choice. This product is probably fine, but let us know how you get on with it .
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #25
^TANK^
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^tank^
Hello nina this is where i got the HEMP REPTILE & SMALL MAMMAL BEDDING 7.5KG from you will need to scroll down abit to find it i hope its goood enough for him. http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/c...%23a6411#a6411
Hi Tank,

Well, I was interested in this, so I just phoned them to ask about their hemp bedding. Unfortunately the woman there said they don't keep the hemp beddings in their shop so she'd never seen it. One thing I remember about aubiose is that it has had the dust extracted, and I had heard that some other hemp products don't have the dust extracted and that can cause irritation to eyes. She didn't know if this one had had the dust extracted. It is more expensive than if you bought a bale of aubiose, but I paid about what you have paid for my aubiose because I don't have room to store a bale , so my local petshop ordered a bale and then split it up to sell me a bag. I knew it was more expensive but had no choice. This product is probably fine, but let us know how you get on with it .

I sent an email to the website and asked if the product had the dust extracted there reply was most helpful Sorry not sure either way on this product.
^TANK^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #26
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

I use a substrate from my reptile petshop and it looks exactly the same as Repti-turf, i get a huge bag for £4.99 and Oscar seems to like it. The guy in the shop said that if he decides to eat it, no harm would come to him because he can digest it..

Does anyone else use it?
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #27
aprillinda

no i do not use this

im not even sure what it is
Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #28
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I hate repti turf, its a horrible substrate. I was advised to use this when I first started keeping, its dusty and turns to mush if exposed to even a small amount of water.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #29
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

The one i use does't turn to mush Its a very hardy substance i think...
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #30
Nickynoodles
Hatched

Default Substrates

Hi, all, I am new on this site and have been referred by Kel (cheers love!!) I am using small bark chippings at the moment but that seems to be wrong - I was told that they can digest the sand and its not good for them - I keep getting conflicting advise - can u help??

1.0.0 Testudo Hermanni
Nickynoodles is offline   Reply With Quote