Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 28-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
jimothy
Egg

Default Happytortoisehabitat.co.uk

Not being amazing at DIY (probably ending up in A&E if I go near any power tools) I was looking at one of the ‘bunk bed’ double tortoise tables on happytortoisehabitat.co.uk as my two iberas are now getting a bit too violent to leave together.

Anyone bought anything of this site? Is the build quality any good?
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

No idea I’m afraid. My husband has built all our double and triple tables.
I’ve not heard of this website before but I had a quick look at the table and noted it doesn’t state the depth of the tables nor the space between the bottom and top table. You need enough space to be able to alter your basking lamp for the bottom table. I also find these bedding area a complete waste of time and space and torts are better off not having that lid for the bedding area but have more space and light. My lot like to bed down under habba huts, wooden bridges or just together in corners when in their tables.

If you do go for it, I should contact the seller and ask further question and always go for the anti climbing lip. My climbers would definitely get themselves out via a corner with their spidertort-style climbing, so you most definitely want to ensure no falls!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

just grow bag trays and 4 pieces of wood - so much cheaper and more hygienic. CB
Old 30-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
jimothy
Egg

Not sure I understand what you mean with the trays - use them as a base and then walls made out of wood panels?
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean with the trays - use them as a base and then walls made out of wood panels?
Yes ! exactly - grow bag trays are very cheap and come in all sorts of sizes. I bought a huge one £9.99 - 4 pieces of reclaimed wood £5 , screws couple of quid and the wood can double as a run on the grass sometimes, and the tray for plants or bathing torts - ok its a bit heath Robison but you could do ornate if wish to or like me draw all over it.

so tortoise table for £14.00 hygienic. B&Q will cut to shape or size also , (other stores wearing orange are available)
Example below I have set mine up that two huge trays join up - bridge them and one TT over laps at both the ends (with wood going across to sit on) and can do it to suit area then easily get 3 big cross overs and if split the big one or have an opening for access that could be your 4

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 02-05-2019 at 03:23 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've not bought anything from there but they do look like they are well made from good quality wood. It says they are made from 1 inch thick wood which they may well be and if so would be quite heavy. The double bunk one would be around 1220mm long x 604mm wide x 202mm high (each table). £180 is not cheap but for that quality it isn't over priced when compared with furniture of a similar grade, for example a TV unit or a small table etc. The only thing I'd wonder about is the heat rising up from the bottom one and affecting temperatures on the top one.
Those ones with the steps and banisters in them are good looking but torts would just throw themselves over the banisters in the same way they just charge through everything in front of them
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Yvonne G
Hatched

I'm not familiar with this vendor, however, quite a few of the enclosures manufactured for tortoises aren't big enough. Just make sure you get something big enough for your tortoise.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
I'm not familiar with this vendor, however, quite a few of the enclosures manufactured for tortoises aren't big enough. Just make sure you get something big enough for your tortoise.
I could not agree more:0)
They are usually ok for small tortoises for the first year, then you find you need more room for them to roam around in:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

another smaller one , CB

Old 29-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #10
^TANK^
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
another smaller one , CB

Isn't there a risk of the tortoise eating the small stones?
^TANK^ is offline   Reply With Quote