Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 28-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
Sara
Egg

Thanks for that Jimbo, I was getting a little confused, as reading about the cold frame I saw that it blocks UV and wondered how this would work . It makes more sense now, so the cold frame is more of a retreat within the enclosure. Thanks for that, I have already been looking at the outdoor enclosures, but as our house is for sale, and it's my husbands parents house, we can't really make any kind of permanent enclosure until we move. Would anyone have any ideas for temp outside enclosure or would it be ok to stay out with him having free rain of the garden.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
jimbobalero
Incubating

Yeah the cold frame will heat up nice and quick so it provides the warm area, i think the rule of thumb for outdoor temps is the forcast needs to be a minimum of 15 deg C where you are. Any colder than that and he will just want to dig in and hide. Given how small he is I would have thought you would lose him in the garden especially as it is likely that he would dig in to the mud and disappear. There has been talk of people using sand pits and such like as temporary outdoor enclosures.

I'm sure someone with more experience than I will come along and advise though.
jimbobalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
Sara
Egg

Thanks Jimbo, will have to get checking around for a cheap sandpit and see how that works, I suppose with something like that I would be able to move around the garden as well so he could get full sun for longer
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

sorry note you mention full sun, you will find that once your tort is warm he will seek shade, they rarely sit for long in the sun, I thought they would untill I watched mine, so whatever you decide to use part of it will need to be in the shade or at least have somewhere cool to hide else he will dig.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
bernards mom
Sub Adult

could anyone reply about the plants i posted about further up please?
Old 29-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #16
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

sorry don't know what the hedges are, you can get similar firns and such liek that off plany markets for 30p+.

is it just me or had many one else found alda,lidl and netto to be cheap shops...as inthe stuff you buy lasts like 2 months and thats it. brought a rake, hoe and machenti from there, and i took them all back as the rake brought in half and such.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #17
linda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernards mom
could anyone reply about the plants i posted about further up please?
can you tell us the name of the box hedging please

ive just found the picture

ill do a separate thread in weeds and see if anyone can id it
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
bernards mom
Sub Adult

i dont usually buy things from any of those shops and am not even certain where there is a lidles around here yet. i like asda and b & q. if i am too impatient to wait till the weekend to buy something (which is most of the time) we have a local little diy store, not as cheap but means i dont have to wait
so would little ferns be ok then
Old 29-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #19
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i agree with that.....i basically payed for crap. most of the stuff in there they pay you to take away from the shop lol
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #20
Toni115
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior
sorry don't know what the hedges are, you can get similar firns and such liek that off plany markets for 30p+.

is it just me or had many one else found alda,lidl and netto to be cheap shops...as inthe stuff you buy lasts like 2 months and thats it. brought a rake, hoe and machenti from there, and i took them all back as the rake brought in half and such.
my mum has always said you get what you pay for
my daughter who is 15 going on 30 says "you buy cheap, you buy twice"

I must say though I bought that exact coldframe last year when it was on offer and it was great, steve cut a doorway in the front and it was just right