Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
tortydat
Sub Adult

You need to contact DEFRA as it is illegal to sell a Hermanns tortoise without an Article 10 certificate in the name of the seller and if you take it back to the shop they will simply sell her to someone else who doesn't ask any questions. You also need to contact your local council as they will have issued a licence to allow this shop to trade.

Mary
tortydat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
destiny88
Incubating

Thanks for the advice suze , have read up on the diet and am feeding her
the weeds recomended ,im a botanist so not finding that to bad LOL
have been weed collecting from mine and my parents house and im keeping
her away from the fruit and veg .The pet shop did give me a tub of fresh
food that they had been feeding her and it was basically Kale,tomatoe and cucumber with some spring greens, so that went in the bin as i had already read up about the weeds.

I asked the vet about the pyramiding and he said it wasnt too bad and is
okay to be raised down the back slightly but not a lot and certainly not the side
ones (sorry i dont know the techy terms) im hoping she wont get worse now shes on the weed diet with the supplements

I totally agree that no way could she have been bought from a breeder
and like you say Hanako they would have known how to look after her
It seems such a shame that these shops are selling tortoises (and other creatures) without knowing how to properly look after them ! i think its appalling
and wish id waited until i had found a breeder . but now i have her i love her to bits and hope to give her a happy and healthy home ..
I dont intend to breed or sell her so maybe the certificate wont be a problem
i just dont like bieng conned !!

hugs
karen xx
destiny88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
destiny88
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
You need to contact DEFRA as it is illegal to sell a Hermanns tortoise without an Article 10 certificate in the name of the seller and if you take it back to the shop they will simply sell her to someone else who doesn't ask any questions. You also need to contact your local council as they will have issued a licence to allow this shop to trade.

Mary
THANKYOU Mary

thats is just what i needed to know
and i shall certainly be contacting them

karen x
Old 24-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Hanako
Hatchling

That's why I think you should report them! I have nothing against shops who play by the rules (proper paperwork and know how to care for the animals) but your shop did con you! A 'proper' pet shop should know what to feed to tortoises and they should know about legislation regarding selling the animals (paperwork). So either your shop genuinely did not know (and that's not excuse because then they shouldn't be selling tortoises), or they did know and tried to deceive you (they hoped that you don't know). Without getting on tortoise forum you may find out about the paperwork only in a few years time and then you may think that you mislaid it.

ETA: just sent this as you wrote the previous response!
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
destiny88
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
That's why I think you should report them! I have nothing against shops who play by the rules (proper paperwork and know how to care for the animals) but your shop did con you! A 'proper' pet shop should know what to feed to tortoises and they should know about legislation regarding selling the animals (paperwork). So either your shop genuinely did not know (and that's not excuse because then they shouldn't be selling tortoises), or they did know and tried to deceive you (they hoped that you don't know). Without getting on tortoise forum you may find out about the paperwork only in a few years time and then you may think that you mislaid it.

ETA: just sent this as you wrote the previous response!
I totally agree and im actually feeling extremely annoyed about it
I feel like i was realy conned . the people in the shop were realy very nice and very helpful but even so i did actually have a bit of a bad feeling when they were so vague about things . they tried soooo hard to sell me a vivarium too
which i got a bit cross about and i was a bit abrupt in the end.
There is no way i would take willow back but if she had not been an animal i
most certainly would
I wasnt too sure who to contact but mary has said Defra ,so i shall be
contacting them .

realy appreciate all the help Thankyou

x
Old 24-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Suze65
Adult

Sadly, your story is all too common, pet shops conning people, sometimes with the A10, but not telling people that the tort was imported, I would agree with Mary , contact DEFRA, and I would certainly report the shop to them and the council. Sorry this has happened to you , but you can at least now give her a decent home good luck.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
destiny88
Incubating

Thanks suze

i will be doing that today
its such a shame this is going on

karen x