Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 25-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
BirdieF18
Incubating

Default is romaine lettuce bad for my tortoise

Hi i have a new hors field tortoise i have heard everywhere that iceberg lettuce is bad for your tortoise. I have deliberately avoided it but i am just wandering can i feed my tortoise romaine lettuce. I have made up a table for what my tortoise eats. It is a different fruit and different plant and vegetable everyday. I also add calcium powder on my tortoises food. can someone please tell me if i am doing anything wrong.
BirdieF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

Romaine is ok to feed in moderation.

This site is brilliant for looking up what you can and can't feed.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...=main&catID=85
Old 25-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
TillyTortoise
Adult

Romaine is fine to feed in Moderation as part of a varied diet.
Old 25-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

In terms of lettuces..romaine actually is one of the best.
It contains Vit A which isn't too shabby and during winter feeding, it's a good mixer.
I wouldn't go including it so much once edible weeds start coming on, but it's a pretty good one (for winter months).
Dont overdo though, try and get some fibre into the diet - such as the pre alpen cobs if you start finding the poo a little on the runny side.
Read up on the cobs - lots of owners use them as a supplement for fibre purposes during winter. Jonesy - a member on here sells them. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
BirdieF18
Incubating

Smile

Thanks everyone you were a great help
BirdieF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Catwoman63
Adult

My horsefields love romaine lettuce, i always break a leaf up and mix it in with whatever food i give them, whether with weeds or mixed salad they can eat, they seem healthy enough x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Tesco are selling bagged salad at the moment called something like Long Lasting Leaf or similar and it contains a lot of Radicchio (Italian Chicory) which torts love and has a bit more to it than ordinary lettuce but the down side is like many things you shouldn't feed it too often. Handy if you have more than one tort though, £1.40. There is iceberg lettuce in the bag which you should just hoy out. Better still if you can get a whole radicchio cheap but I have never seen them for sale, same colour as red cabbage
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
shellonia
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Tesco are selling bagged salad at the moment called something like Long Lasting Leaf or similar and it contains a lot of Radicchio (Italian Chicory) which torts love and has a bit more to it than ordinary lettuce but the down side is like many things you shouldn't feed it too often. Handy if you have more than one tort though, £1.40. There is iceberg lettuce in the bag which you should just hoy out. Better still if you can get a whole radicchio cheap but I have never seen them for sale, same colour as red cabbage
Yes then there's Florette crispy which is Endive and raddichio, both quite good in terms of winter food. I'm lucky to have a really old-fashioned Greengrocer who does sell whole raddichio.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I get individual raddichio's delivered in my fruit and veg box from a local company, 'Cossey Produce'. The torts love it and I probably use it about twice a week to bulk out their weeds through the winter. I alternate between this and romaine in the box each fortnight.
They also sell lollo rosso, which I think is also suitable in moderation.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fruit, iceberg, lettuce, romaine