Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 17-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
angiek6
Egg

Default What lamp

Hi I have been looking at the all in one D3 lamp for my tortoise hopefully a hermann when I get him, would you recommend 80 watt , 100 watt or 120 watt ,
angiek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

100 or 160. The 80 watt Arcadia doesnt give off enough heat for a tort I believe.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there. It depends a lot how big the enclosure and tortoise are. But I agree that the 80watts lamp is not hot enough for most situations.
Old 18-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

angie , I have some 100w and 160w arcadia D3 and raise them to the level to create the climate I need to the requirements of the actual tort. a reflector can increase the heat too remember. heat emitters different wattage works same in terms of desired overnight heat / overwintering heat if needed, of course it doesn't create the Uv factor. sometimes I hang a normal bulb a few feet of the ground too if need additional heating in the same area , but not common. CB
Old 19-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

The Arcadia 160w isn't as hot as you might first think. I've had both a Megaray 120w and the Arcadia 160w and heat wise - like for like its the same. Main thing is to get a large lamp stand so that you can adjust the height. If you have a fixed wooden stand this can be a problem as you can't adjust them except to modify it. Also importantly - make sure the holder is ceramic or it'll melt and that the holder can take the wattage of the bulb.
As with all combined bulbs - ensure you follow the minimum height restrictions - from torts shell to bulb. It can be below that minimum height. Sorry if I've babbled a bit and you're already aware.... But hope it helps somewhat. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Please watch our facebook page for an industry changing new announcement this weekend. !!!

It will be well worth the wait!

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Just my opinion but I think the price of the zoo med and arcadia adjustable stands are far too high. I've made stands from scrap wood that do the job just as well. With a home-made stand a simple piece of chain can be used to dangle the lamp from, and the height of it varied easily by using very cheap hooks.

Even easier, just dangle the lamp by the cable and fix the height by fixing the cable to the stand at the right place. Concerned that the cable wasn't intended to support the weight? OK, use a chain alongside your cable. Combined lamps and halogens all have their own reflectors in them already.

I've not seen the arcadia stand but the zoomed one is made of poor quality materials and I've twice broken the cheap metal fixings simply by tightening them too much.

The arcadia stand looks better quality but purchasing it adds a huge amount to the cost of setting up the UV flood. The ardadia UV flood with it's shade is incredibly light and once it's set up there will normally be very little adjusting to do.
Old 19-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

I see what you mean Jonno, about the stand but in terms of faffing about - its a lot easier to just buy the stand 'ready made', that is if you aren't DIY friendly and haven't the time to go constructing it. I also haven't seen the Arcadia stands so I will be keen to see what John says about them. I have noticed the zoomed screw bits that you mentions ....yes they certainly don't stand up to much scrutiny. I simply use an allen key to tighten and untighten once the nob bit stops working. But I agree the build could be much better. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 19-08-2015 at 02:50 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

The flood stand is an adapted mic stand with a a specially tooled adapter to secure the flood to.

It is VERY adjustable and very sturdy. Made from aluminium so won't rust and painted Matt black

It's one of those "service" items. We pass it on at cost to keep the price as low as possible as so that keepers can use the UVFLOOD over a tort table or in the case of ParrotPro over a vast % of cages.

It's very functional and easy to use but yes it does add on cost.

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #10
4chester
Incubating

Come on John

You going to give any hints or clues to the big announcement
4chester is offline   Reply With Quote