Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 14-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
BubbyT-KortneyFlint
Egg

Arrow Read my Letter to Tesco

Here's my letter to Tesco:: Please, don't entirely copy and paste it, make it your own, keep it law-abiding, but hopefully, let yourself be sensibly inspired by it, for the sake of all the turtles in the world!!!

To Terry Leahy

Surprise me, and read to the end of my letter, and then, do something about it in favour of turtle conservation!!!

In China, and all over the world, there is a religion called Buddhism that is NOT in favour of needlessly, unlawfully, mercilessly disrespecting, depleting and KILLING animals!!!

You are guilty of this!! I know that you like to project an image, for your company and yourself, of consciencious, generous, caring and environmentally friendly!! I wish to God that my plea for you to STOP condoning and taking part in all the processes and wrongs of eating turtle meat, would not fall on your, thus far, uncaring, selfish, ignorant ears!! It may be fine with you that the only turtles who survive in this world are those whom are saved by being bred captively , and I am in favour of compassionate-led captive breeding, there is no doubt of that - But the fact that the ONLY turtles, tortoises, and MANY other creatures, whom are likely to manage to survive are those born into Captive environments - is NOT fine with me or with millions of people; Neither is it fine with masses of dependent eco-systems/animal species, world wide!! (All of which, by the way, when exhausted and dead, beyond hope, will similarly affect the human race as well!!!)

I can, and from now on, will take part in law-abiding efforts to stop it from making business sense for you to continue to allow the horrific treatment and eventual death of these creatures! People will not die, or sicken terribly from NOT eating turtle meat; our survival no longer depends on eating turtle meat!! It is archaic, caveman-like, less than intelligent, and much less than forward-thinking!!! IT HAS TO BE STOPPED!! Yes, you have fundraised for charities like The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign, and because of this, you have me, and some others, over the barrell YOU keep those poor, tortured turtles in, because I have 2 friends (who were sisters to one another) whom died, as children of MD. BUT I also have a responsibility to be kind, and an even bigger responsibility to prevent the deterioration of the planet my God-daughters are inheriting!!! I do not have to use Tesco to survive, and to help others to survive!!!

Perhaps, Tesco needs a new, more consciencious leader..? Perhaps, I, and others like me, should write to those above you, and say so?! Or, perhaps, you should do something to keep your job, your company's profits, as well as your own, and to save the turtles??? STOP Condoning the sale of turtle meat - STOP SELLING LIVE TURTLES AND TURTLE MEAT!!!

Bethany S. Heard, UK

Hope you approve of my letter!!
From Bethany

Last edited by BubbyT-KortneyFlint; 14-03-2010 at 02:49 PM.
BubbyT-KortneyFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

tesco probably get letters from people in India demanding that they stop sellng beef in other countries around the world. they can't win
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
BubbyT-KortneyFlint
Egg

Arrow My feelings further explained and examined...

I DO understand what you mean, and I don't want to totally boycott Tesco because they do occasionally help http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org

BUT it is not just down to the cruelty of the turtles suffering - It is about conservation of a species ...

Besides, this is a site called Shelled Warriors. I would have thought most here would want to save turtles from this fate. Admittedly, I am torn about the whole thing myself, because of Tesco now and then helping The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign. I don't want to be disloyal to my friends who died of it, and I don't want people to entirely stop shopping at Tesco, or the next time they help The MD Campaign, the overall donation by Tesco will be down...

(PLEASE, give to http://www.muscular-dystrophy.org
(who WERE Tesco's Charity of the Year until March 1st 2010, but still and will always, need your generosity!!!)

However, I can't help believing that eating turtles is not only cruel, but unnecessary... Eating some other meats is essential for many people, myself included. I was advised to by my doctor. I feel horrendously cruel about eating cows, etc, as I have tried to be veggie for several years, in the past, but, for me, it just isn't possible or at all sensible - Though eating turtle, in today's world, when numbers are down, and it is a cruel process, seems like it might just be for selfishness and cruelty's sake. Is it really necessary these days?? I know that even some Chinese people agree with me! I can't see my half Chinese best friend being a fan of eating turtle, for instance, and there must be others like her in her other home country!

I do also believe that I do have a responsibilty to my God-daughters, and other children in my family, to let them grow up without experiencing the extinction of yet another animal! Not only that, but I should, to be kind to my pet tortoise, KortneyFlint, not condone the death of his turtle cousins! For Heaven's sake, I even feel bad enough that one of my Nintendo Wii games has shelled warrior like creatures that hold up archery boards to help the character, Link, do target practice with his crossbow!! And, that's total fiction!!!

I am COMPLETELY torn about this! - I feel a responsibility to do the right and compassionate thing for these turtles, esp. since I now have a tortoise - BUT I HATE the thought that my friends, from Heaven, might be looking down at me now and feeling betrayed because I am angry at an organisation who has tried to help those like them!!

Bethany
BubbyT-KortneyFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
DeclanBolton
Egg

Send a message via MSN to DeclanBolton

isnt it in china they sell that fish which you eat while its still alive? things there really have to change. i personally shall stop using tesco if the turtle trading still goes on.
Old 17-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
EJ
Adult

Raw clams/oysters... sushi... still moving is the freshest...ummmm... so good... at least once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanBolton View Post
isnt it in china they sell that fish which you eat while its still alive? things there really have to change. i personally shall stop using tesco if the turtle trading still goes on.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote