Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 22-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
Anyfoot
Incubating

Default Redfoot pyramided torts

A few months back we got a phone call off of one of Dawn's distant relations asking for advice on her poorly torts, cut a long story short they had cold and was tret wih antibiotics, and returned to good health. About 2 wks ago we had another phone call asking if we would take these 2 torts off her hands. We hummed and rrrrrrd and said if she really wanted to get rid of them we would, kind of hoping she would change her mind. 5 days ago she asked again, and reluctantly we took them in. She brought them to our house that night, last Tuesday.
Well, shocked was an understatement. I was fuming inside. These torts have been kept in totally wrong conditions, they are a tropical species that require high humidity and an ambient temp of around 28°c. The only way to achieve this is in a closed system, not a open table like most of you guys do with the med species.
Because they have been kept too dry the carapaces have pyramided severely. On too of that the diet was all wrong, peas,carrots,sweetcorn and lettuce is not a good diet. On top of that they have never been outside because a vet told them 4yrs ago when they got them that they would need jabs before going outside. The information this couple was given for a 4 year period to care for this species was so far off the mark.
When I showed them one of my smooth torts the husband said "do they develope the bumps at a later age then". Sheesh.
Anyway, we've got them in quarantine for 6 months, they are about 9" so still some growing to do. Hopefully I can give them a good life now.
I'm hoping this thread helps others understand the importance of humidity,ambient temps and hydration for tropical torts. Made me sad when I saw these.
They seem to be walking strong so hoping MBD has not kicked in due to crap diet.
If you laid a piece of string over the peaks of these pyramids, this is where the carapace should be.
I'll just keep trying to bring this to light in the uk. What chance do we have when reptile shops and most vets haven't got a clue

Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Oh so sad.

Thank goodness they are now with you to receive the care they need.

Do keep us updated of their progress.

When my 2 arrived aged 2, Bertie was a bit bumpy but has smoothed out somewhat.
Old 22-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

What a shame I too have some shocking torts. Nothing can be done about the past just got to give them the best life from here Mine cope quite well & seem happy.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
Anyfoot
Incubating

Do you guys keep the med species humid, or soak them at all? What are you doing to achieve a smooth tort.
Old 23-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyfoot View Post
Do you guys keep the med species humid, or soak them at all? What are you doing to achieve a smooth tort.
Yes youngsters I provide a humid hide ( cave deep soil humid) + more humid areas under plants etc. I try to soak daily. I think smooth torts come from lots of factors & the one which is never mentioned is exercise.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Anyfoot
Incubating

I agree, size of enclosure is important, so is diet. Just like humans, if you don't burn off calories you end up with Ill health, however a perfect diet with plenty of exercise but kept dry will result in pyramiding.
Old 23-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

Wow they look really bad, what a great shame. I think sometimes, this happens, because new keepers are given the wrong information by pets shops, it happens with all species of torts, and people think the pet shops know what they're talking about. Not everyone goes on forums, but when they do, they are shocked to find out they have been told a load of rubbish by pet shops.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Anyfoot
Incubating

Bang on Suze.
The couple that fetched these around were a nice couple, they were both shocked when we talked about redfoot care. The husband said "we have been given all the wrong advice from what you are saying". Not kidding.
The only way I can see to get the correct information out there, is for only responsible breeders to sell tortoises, because responsible breeders will pass on their valuable knowledge. This also means breeders shouldn't sell to shops.
Old 23-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
I was given a one page sheet with my torts with key points. Actually it was good, but I went straight to the Tortoise Trust website at the time and followed their advice. Regular baths, light/heat, weeds with nutrobol, soil/sand substrate and what should be in the table for their comfort and stimulation/exercise. They did advise against damp so I did not know about spraying them or the substrate and dried them meticulously after their bath.
Old 23-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Yes youngsters I provide a humid hide ( cave deep soil humid) + more humid areas under plants etc. I try to soak daily. I think smooth torts come from lots of factors & the one which is never mentioned is exercise.
Its so sad when you come across bad husbandry. Good job people like you about to take them on.
I bath daily my little lot kept indoors, outdoors not at all as they are kept as natural as possible and have the ability to drink and bath and soak. you a have to be committed for the long haul I think, too many keepers have 5 minute wonders which is incredible when these creatures live to the age they do. I spray the substrate daily also and the Tortoise ! I think this is particularly important because it sets them up environmentally when outdoors - rain, UK..rain ... weed growth ....flourishing plants...dry..not so flourishing plants...rain..growth ....forage...CB