Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
sammkins
Hatched

Default URGENT - whats this squeaking noise?

i have a baby tortoise that is about 5 months old and weighs about 30 grams. It has been squeaking a few times, poking its head out. It hasnt got bubbles out of its nose and isnt keeping its mouth open so im not sure its a respiratory problem, can anyone help me as im sure i read a while ago this happened to someone elses tortoise and it died.

It is eating and walking about as normal? thanks i am really worried.
1 Siamese Kitten
6 Horsfield Torts
6 Baby Sulcatas
1 rabbit
2 Aylesbury Ducks

Hubbys list:
20 bearded Dragons
1 Blue tongue Skink
7 Chameleons
House Gheckos

and the list goes on!
sammkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

the only time mine have ever made a noise is when sid is mating, if it was mine I think I'd separate it and keep a close eye on it, play safe rather than sorry and if it keeps doing it speak to your vet.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
eliza
Hatched

My 5yr old male does this quite often. You can hear him squeeking away and everytime I check to see what he's up to always find him mounting the same rock,bobbing his head squeeking away clearly enjoying it. He lives alone but hopefully in the future he wil have 3 females joining him but untill then it seems he's more than happy to use the rock as much as possible squeeking away enjoying all the practicing he's manageing to get .
eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
alice_boots
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza View Post
My 5yr old male does this quite often. You can hear him squeeking away and everytime I check to see what he's up to always find him mounting the same rock,bobbing his head squeeking away clearly enjoying it. He lives alone but hopefully in the future he wil have 3 females joining him but untill then it seems he's more than happy to use the rock as much as possible squeeking away enjoying all the practicing he's manageing to get .
My lone male does the same. But it was very embarrassing when my 9 year old sister caught him doing it and asked me what he was doing......

1 Hermanns tortoise (Herman)
1 Newfoundland dog (Indy)
3 cats (Jack, Freddie, Bobby)
3 chickens (Dolly, Penny, Mabel)
1 hamster (Tristan)
alice_boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Alistair&Robyn
Hatched

I can't imagine a 5 month old will be making rude squeaky noises. What's the humidity in the enclosure? Ours tend to squeak a bit when the humidity is too low for them, sort of like a tortoise alarm!
Alistair&Robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
shellonia
Sub Adult

I've had experience of young ones having a kind of'clicking' when they breathe.I had one that was startled during its bath and drew water up its nose.You do need to keep an eye on it.Could it have swallowed anything that's got stuck?I always feed a pellet if there's any chance of this.Otherwise just keep an eye on it-it will start breathing with half open mouth if it's respiratory.They can be a bit like tiny babies with their squeaks and snuffles.Hope all's well.Keep us posted
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
sammkins
Hatched

i didnt think you had to have a high humidity, ive only had him a couple of weeks and he is on orchid bark and sterilised topsoil, i also bath him every other day, Im not aware that something is stuck, but i will have a look, what sort of pellet do you give yours? not heard of that before.

He is eating and moving around like normal, but he sometimes stretches his head out and squeaks too - hes mouth is not open or doesnt have bubbly nose, thats what im looking out for. Could it be stress from being in a different environment?
1 Siamese Kitten
6 Horsfield Torts
6 Baby Sulcatas
1 rabbit
2 Aylesbury Ducks

Hubbys list:
20 bearded Dragons
1 Blue tongue Skink
7 Chameleons
House Gheckos

and the list goes on!
sammkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Hi Sammikins

Where did you get your baby tort from? What was the substrate he was on before?

How long has he been making this noise for?

If I were you I would take him to get checked over. Just to put your mind at ease.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
shellonia
Sub Adult

well i get the big fibre pellets via a breeder which I use now and again.when they are thoroughly soaked they are big and fluffy and hold lots of water.Think'Prettypets' on ebay sell them,though can't be sure they are identical.Hope your tort is ok
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
Star
Sub Adult

Hi

From the description you've given...it sounds very possible that the tortoise is either constipated or has some solid urates that are hard and the tort is struggling to pass them, or some form of compaction within, due to either digesting something, such as bedding, small stones etc.

Bath more regularly and try to encourage plenty of drinking.

I wish you all the luck with the little one, and hope that you have got to the cause of the problem already
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote