Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 28-12-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
larlar
Egg

Question constipated?

my baby sulcata tortoise apears to have a small ball of poop stuck to her tail. i have tried to gently remove it with a tissue or wipe. she eats drinks and is active. she also seems to be urinating and passing urnates...um i think thats what the white chalky substance is named excuse me if im wrong. but im worried that this excremant is blocking her from pooping. i have also soaked her a couple times. she doesnt seem to have any swelling or bloating as i have compared her to my other sulcata. i am still worried though um would enjoy some help. could it be her diet? or dehydration?

her diet is mainly carrots, zuchini squash, and green bell pepper. i am trying to add grass to their diet and need to buy them calcium but havnt been able yet. ii hope shes ok please give suggestions thnx.
ps. i have been reading that it may be from lack of fiber and would it help to add more grass into their diet?
larlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It's usually best not to try to remove it in case a hair is attached, they usually work their way out eventually. I don't know anything about Sulcatas but I would assume they should be bathed daily in a basin or tub for 20 minutes or so at a time like other torts. If so then try it twice a day to see if it helps. Someone on here pulled a hair that was hanging out and it pulled the torts intestines out so I wouldn't pull it though it could be cut off (if it is attached to a hair)
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
larlar
Egg

yes i read about that o_o um that wouldnt be good. but i dont think its a hair because its like just balled there um it seems better today a little bit but thats why i stopped trying to remove it um that would be bad um thank for the advice. im still hoping to fix their diet so ya thanks for the reply
Old 28-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

You can put some petrolium jelly on it and that will soften it up enough to wipe off in a day or 2.

Danny
Old 28-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Paulg1
Adult

to answer your question about fiber, yes, sullys need approx. 70-80% grass making up their fiber diet. Work your way to that and off what you have been as soon as possible.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
larlar
Egg

ya i tried to give them some grass today i dont think they liked it too much lol ill work on it though and ill try the petroleum thing hope it help :/
what are some suggestions to transition them to grass and weeds? i got these torts from my frend as she couldnt keep them when she moved and they had been fed non grasses
thanks for quick replies ^-^
Old 29-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
jayne2942
Hatchling

alfaha hay that rabbits have for fibre is also good fibre for tortoises.
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
jayne2942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #8
larlar
Egg

hey quick update shelly is all better ^-^