Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #21
*Mandy*

Thanks for the info x

As others have said, it looks like I'm in for a long night...... lol

Mandy
x
Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
jandh
Hatched

Hi mandie , congratulations on being a new mummy ... i was a first time mum this year and i was so excited that i also stayed up all night , i got loads of fab advice from everybody on here , i would leave them overnight in the incubator , and if all egg sac has gone give them a bath tomorrow , but im not an expert , xx good luck and well done xxxx julia xxxx
Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
*Mandy*

Baby Shelbie (my daughter named her already!) is out, has had a bath and a drink and is safely in her new home.

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes with my eggs and I just want to say thank you to red foot marg here as well for 'holding my hand' via 'chat' in the final stages of her hatching

She's gorgeous but then I suppose I am biased

What a day! Hopefully, I'll be a bit more relaxed if we're lucky enough to get any more hatch.

I'll post some photos of her in the 'Pictures' section.

Edit: Just seen your post Julia - thank you for the advice - I don't think I will sleep much tonight even though she's safely out now.

Mandy
x

Last edited by *Mandy*; 09-01-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #24
NATURALIS
Adult

your very welcome, hope all goes well for you
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
suttysue
Sub Adult

Thats fantastic I am so excited for you WELL DONE
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #26
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

Any sign of anymore babies today?

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #27
*Mandy*

No more yet, but I'm still hopeful that something might happen soon.

I have tried candling the other 2 eggs that were laid at the same time as Shelbie and there is an airspace (?) at the top of the eggs with the bottom of the eggs looking full so I think there's still a chance they will hatch.

The others that she's laid seem to be doing ok as well so there might be some good news about them in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed)

Hopefully I'll be a bit calmer if we do get any more hatching now that we've got the first one out of the way.

I was doing ok on Sunday until she turned around in the egg and then I just panicked - I was convinced she was going to suffocate in there and we were going to lose her at the last minute. How daft is that
Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #28
Helen M
Adult

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mandy* View Post
No more yet, but I'm still hopeful that something might happen soon.

I have tried candling the other 2 eggs that were laid at the same time as Shelbie and there is an airspace (?) at the top of the eggs with the bottom of the eggs looking full so I think there's still a chance they will hatch.

The others that she's laid seem to be doing ok as well so there might be some good news about them in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed)

Hopefully I'll be a bit calmer if we do get any more hatching now that we've got the first one out of the way.

I was doing ok on Sunday until she turned around in the egg and then I just panicked - I was convinced she was going to suffocate in there and we were going to lose her at the last minute. How daft is that
You will notice that just before the eggs are due to hatch they will look almost empty when you candle them. If you have a very bright torch you may be able to make out the baby inside. Just keep checking

When mine were hatching they would turn round to eat the albumin left over in the egg. So don't worry next time you see them turning around

Helen xx
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
*Mandy*

Thanks Helen!

How soon should I expect her to eat something?

I have been bathing her twice a day (good advice from red foot marg), she is drinking and she has pee'd at least once but she isn't showing any interest in food yet.

I've been offering finely chopped dandelion leaves and plantain as that's all I have managed to find in the last couple of days but she just walks over it. I do pad the older ones diet out with Flourette (sp?) salad in the winter, should I try her with a bit of this?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
Helen M
Adult

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mandy* View Post
Thanks Helen!

How soon should I expect her to eat something?

I have been bathing her twice a day (good advice from red foot marg), she is drinking and she has pee'd at least once but she isn't showing any interest in food yet.

I've been offering finely chopped dandelion leaves and plantain as that's all I have managed to find in the last couple of days but she just walks over it. I do pad the older ones diet out with Flourette (sp?) salad in the winter, should I try her with a bit of this?
It could easily be a couple of weeks or even a little longer. Just keep trying her with some fresh florette or weeds a couple of times a day and hopefully she'll be brave enough to have another bite.

Helen xx