Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Horace2
Hatched

Default Bread and Milk

I walked to my brother with my dog this morning, 6 miles! I met a guy who lives near my brother. He as two big torts aged 78 and 83 At last I got to talk to him and asked him what he feed them. He said he gives them bread and milk, a banana once a week, a Tomato, lettuce, Dandelion. The torts live outside all year round and look very very NICE. He as no heaters. He as a a brick hide where the torts dig down. They only live on a small grass lawn. Like most places we had loads of snow. I am amazed that they are still alive, but then again they have lived through some bad weather over the years!!!!! The guys Dad had the torts first!
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
swad1000
Adult

There are a few stories like this around, torts are amazing creatures. Unfortunately for every story like this there are dozens of torts kept in similar conditions that have died.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Oh dear You really should give him some proper diet advice, maybe give him the link to this forum and the SW shop. He needs to grow some seeds. And ensure he gets some heating and UV in soon. Poor tortoises. I hope they survive loads more, though they're doing well. What species? I'm guessing Sulcata, Galapagos or Aladabra? (Probably spelt Aladabra wrong)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquestrianBabe View Post
Oh dear You really should give him some proper diet advice, maybe give him the link to this forum and the SW shop. He needs to grow some seeds. And ensure he gets some heating and UV in soon. Poor tortoises. I hope they survive loads more, though they're doing well. What species? I'm guessing Sulcata, Galapagos or Aladabra? (Probably spelt Aladabra wrong)
Hi there, I don't know what species they are I can't give him any advice. I have only had Horace a year next month. The torts are 78 and 83 To me they are not "poor Tortoises" they look LOVELY Just like the 50 year tort that a guy as near me.
I did tell him about this forum and the SW Shop. I told him I kept Horace indoors on a four foot table that as an upstairs with UV and heating at 35c and a colder place. I also told him I have a BIG hide outside where Horace goes when its nice. I told him that I give Horace a bath every other day and give Horace vits. He just looked at me and
PS I give Horace some milke and bread he loved it!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm sure Horace did love bread and milk but sugar, salt, protein, fat, wheat and many of the other ingredients in these things are not good for tortoises, especially young ones.

Last edited by Bindi; 12-05-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
I'm sure Horace did love bread and milk but sugar, salt, protein, fat, wheat and many of the other ingredients in these things are not good for tortoises, especially young ones.
Does not bread have fibre and milk calcium?

Last edited by Bindi; 12-05-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
mcsmichelles
Hatchling

I know of 5 people who also have torts who they fed anything (all the wrong things) and they are all aged over 50 with complety smooth shells. They all live in the garden from april to october and hibernate over winter. Non of them have heat or uv lights either. My neighbour being one of them. When its cold at night she brings him into her conservatory where he sleeps he is 70 with a smooth shell. Hes fed lettuce and bananas etc etc
mcsmichelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
SeeShell
Adult

It's amazing how some torts adapt but I agree with Swad; for evey happy story you hear think of the huge number of torts that weren't so lucky.
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace2 View Post
Does not bread have fibre and milk calcium?
Dairy Milk chocolate is supposed to contain milk but it doesn't make it good for you. If good things are mixed with bad then one kinda cancels the other one out.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmichelles View Post
I know of 5 people who also have torts who they fed anything (all the wrong things) and they are all aged over 50 with complety smooth shells. They all live in the garden from april to october and hibernate over winter. Non of them have heat or uv lights either. My neighbour being one of them. When its cold at night she brings him into her conservatory where he sleeps he is 70 with a smooth shell. Hes fed lettuce and bananas etc etc
The thing is, most of the torts, if not all of them that were brought over to this country before the '84 ban, came in as adults, and more than likely wild caught ones at that.

That is where their lovely smooth shells come from.

It is also very likely that many of these oldies that are more or less left to fend for themselves in the garden find stuff to eat that is good for them, weeds, various flowers etc.

They may also have sunny south facing gardens and nice safe places to dig down into when it's cold or they need to hibernate.

As Swad has said, for all the torts you hear about that are doing well and still going after all these years, there are many many more that weren't so lucky.
And it is alot of luck for those that are still with us.

The trouble is that most of the torts that people acquire now, especially new keepers are young.
Hatchlings not long out of the egg or a little older but still young.

They Need a good start in life.

What would happen if you fed a kid on crap like biscuits sweets and crips all day? Ok an adult might be able to get away with it but not a kid.

Now, you can feed your torts whatever you want, you don't have to provide your tort with UV, heat or predator proof enclosures etc etc.

You can choose to ignore any advice that you receive on here or wherever you get your information...that is your choice.

Me? I'd rather not take the risk.

End of Sermon

Last edited by Bindi; 12-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote