Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 24-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
ditzyangeluk
Incubating

Default Best tortoise for a newbie!

What would you say is the best (easiest!) tortoise for a newbie??!!
ditzyangeluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Catwoman63
Adult

I wouldn't say any species of tortoise is "easy" to look after, they have lots of different needs to keep them healthy, I can only go by own experience of horsfields and golden Greeks (spurth thighs) and both species have different requirements.

Your best bet is to research different species, they range in size and hibernating / non hibernating species, some need more heat, some need higher humidty etc etc, and find one that you think you can look after according to finances and space.

Not helped much but good luck x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
ditzyangeluk
Incubating

Thank you, ANY info is a great help. I think the Horsefield is the one I am heading for.
Old 25-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
I wouldn't say any species of tortoise is "easy" to look after, they have lots of different needs to keep them healthy, I can only go by own experience of horsfields and golden Greeks (spurth thighs) and both species have different requirements.

Your best bet is to research different species, they range in size and hibernating / non hibernating species, some need more heat, some need higher humidty etc etc, and find one that you think you can look after according to finances and space.

Not helped much but good luck x
Couldn't have said it better

A lot of people often start with Hermans or Horsfields

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
sandy
Adult

Most people will recommend the species they keep as that's the ones they know about:0)
As has been said, looking at whether you want a hibernating species or not is the first thing to look at.
Then just through the different species available.
Ibera, marginata, horsfield and hermans are probably the most commonly kept hibernating species.
Leopards, redfoots, and hingebacks for non hibernating species.
So you just have to look through these:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Most people will recommend the species they keep as that's the ones they know about:0)
As has been said, looking at whether you want a hibernating species or not is the first thing to look at.
Then just through the different species available.
Ibera, marginata, horsfield and hermans are probably the most commonly kept hibernating species.
Leopards, redfoots, and hingebacks for non hibernating species.
So you just have to look through these:0)
Ok im going to go against the grain and say not a horsfield even though i keep them.
The reason im saying this i they are a very aggressive tortoise and if you start with one and decide to get another the chances of them hitting it off are very slim i would go for a hermans or spurthigh as they tend to get on better
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

How much space have you got? Did you want to keep them solely outdoors or in a tortoise table indoors with access outside on dry days?
Obviously the size of the tortoise needs to be taken into consideration as many can get quite big. I'd recommend a Hermanns if you decide not to go for a Horsfield. I have eight of them, so I am biased and I'm sure someone with another species like Ibera would argue the case for having one of them equably well.

I'd recommend buying from a breeder too. There are plenty of them about on here or people can point you in the right direction.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
ditzyangeluk
Incubating

Sorry, perhaps "easy" to look after wasn't the right expression in trying to find the best for a complete newb and what would be best for the tortoise.

I was on the track of a Horsfield - I will only be getting one anyway. But, I think I am now swaying towards the Hermanns.

I have plenty of space and will be keeping it in a tortoise table indoors with access outside on dry, warm days.

Does anyone know of any breeders in Suffolk - ideally close to Sudbury as I have no personal transport.

Thank you all for your help. Very much appreciated
Old 25-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Catwoman63
Adult

Yes horsfields can be bully's, although one on their own will be fine, I don't know about hermans but good luck with whichever you decide x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyangeluk View Post
Sorry, perhaps "easy" to look after wasn't the right expression in trying to find the best for a complete newb and what would be best for the tortoise.

I was on the track of a Horsfield - I will only be getting one anyway. But, I think I am now swaying towards the Hermanns.

I have plenty of space and will be keeping it in a tortoise table indoors with access outside on dry, warm days.

Does anyone know of any breeders in Suffolk - ideally close to Sudbury as I have no personal transport.

Thank you all for your help. Very much appreciated
I'm not sure if there are breeders on this forum from Suffolk. There is always the option of using a reputable reptile courier.
There is a breeder mentioned on this list though it's a bit out-of-date. http://www.tortoise-protection-group...rsJune2009.pdf

Good luck!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote