Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > Wanted

Old 01-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
veggie86
Incubating

Default Leopard breeder?

I've decided to get my husband a leopard tortoise. He's a lot more interested in Pickles and tortoise keeping than he thought he would be, and he's particularly interested in the bigger species. I've researched leopards, redfoots and sulcatas and think we could provide a good home for a leopard.

I know you don't need any paperwork with these so I want to be really careful to find a captive bred one from a good breeder. All I can seem to find are pet shops and reptile/tortoise centers advertising them. I don't really want to go down that route.

Does anyone know of any hatchling/juvenile leopard torts in or around hampshire/ south of England?

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Neddy
Sub Adult

We got Ralph fom a pet shop and he is 7 and doing really well.

They are big tortoises and you will need to think about the future between 16" - 18" and 30 - 40 pounds.

We plan on putting Ralph in a insulated shed once he is fully grown with access to get in and out but he will always come in, in the winter, as the dampness in the South can cause issues.

Ralph has always had a bit of a runny nose and he has been to he vet on several occasions and they felt that because it has never got any worse or better, that is just the way he is. However they do say he needs a dust free environment and for temps to be maintained and reccommended that he stays in during winter month especially with the climate living near the sea.

So it really does depend on the tortoise. He has also always been around us and loves nothing better then to have his chin stroked next to the radiator (he has been nicknamed the 'Wooden Cat' by friends) so I am not sure if putting him out full time is what's best for him, if he didn't have any 'sensitive' issues I would however put him out more.

I think all tortoises when not in the wild have different requirements and work better in the environment that has been designed for them and the only way to perfect it is to set up and if something isnt working change it, after 7 years I think we have the balance right.

I hope this helps.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
veggie86
Incubating

Yeah my husband wanted a bigger tortoise. A full grown leo would be too big at the moment but we're planning to move in the next couple of years so the tort space will be one of the things we look for in the new house. If we get a young tort now it will have plenty of room here until we move.

I'm still researching. I'm reading a lot about how they're more sensitive (health wise) than mediterranian torts so I'm still not 100% sure. I'll see if hubby is willing to monitor the heat and environment that little bit more....

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote