Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 14-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #1
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay
Default African Grey Parrot?

Does anyone have any experience with these beautiful birds?

Like so many people on this forum I would fill my house with animals over furniture any day and these gorgeous creatures (now that I have torts) are top of my list (well.. with the rescued greyhounds, Andrew's border collie, several rescued torts.. anything we see at the rescue places and can help*.. You know how it is!?) However, house, space and an aviary across the garden path from Tortoise Terrace are needed first though the time delay gives me a grand opportunity to research them thoroughly (and be soppy over everyone's pictures, stories etc of woofs and birdies )

*And I hold you all responsible for the fact this list will probably include sugar gliders, ferrets, frogs, geckos, lizards...

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Toni115
Adult

Oh Ajay, I'm so glad someone feels the same as me!!! I personally dont do birds (not that keen) but after talking to piglet last night, next on my list is most definately the sugar gliders - cant wait!!! what adorable little critters

As for the african, i do know someone who has one and she loves him to bits, he's a real charcter and gets on fine with her children and her other animals, she has 4 kids and 3 staffs and several other birds!!! Hes a real good talker too!!!
Old 14-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

I had a friend with one Ajay and it was very noisy when they were not around, so much so they hired a house keeper/cleaner type lady to be around during the day! (well its a nice excuse isnt it...hummm maybe she was onto something!)

By the way just googled sugar gliders how cute are they?!!! I have found so many new animals I never knew existed since being here.
aramintalovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

ooh i just hatched whilst posting that last response!
aramintalovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Toni115
Adult

YAY! well done for hatching!!! I didnt know the sugar gliders existed until last night, but they are definately on my list

I have heard that african greys can get very attatched to one person in the house, not sure how true that is though, i'm sure some one else on here will know
Old 14-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
piglet
Adult

Toni I have a grey and he is terrible , I'm his third owner, he isn't noisy as such and talks and whistles daily, but because of the bond with his original owner he still hasn't allowed us to touch him even though he does prefer to be right near us, I'm sure he will settle in time which is the best way with Parrots that have been passed around, taking your time to get to know your parrot is extremely important and unfortunately many are discarded after the novelty wears off.
They do bond with one person to an extent and all have different personalities same as us ,they are generally far better at a mixed family environment than Amazons which I have also and are very noisy.
I would highly recommend researching as much as possible before taking any parrot on , especially diet,
all parrots need constant supervision and are like small children that can become easily bored when the novelty of them wheres off
Anything else please ask
D
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Toni115
Adult

yep, thought id heard that right!

Ajay are you thinking of getting one? I just cant warm to birds for some reason, io dont know why
Old 14-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Toni115
Adult

Oh and Darren - is there any animal you havent got??? Do you live in a zoo???

Now i'm gonna be really embarrassed if the answer is yes
Old 14-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
piglet
Adult

Sorry should have answered to Ajay

Yes I sort of live in a zoo

D
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
Dazza
Adult

I had a Macaw Years ago he was a great parrot loved him to bits i would love another but they are like children and to get the best from them you need to spend ALOT of time with them and i dont have that kind of time now !!

But if you have the time or are around a lot they really are great !!

Dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote