Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 07-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
saucysqueezy
Incubating

Default a question of "ahem" bowel movements

I mentioned I was going to pop this topic up mainly out of concern for one of my torts. We bought two Hermanns of roughly the same size, however we have noticed that one seems to be incredibly smaller than the other and much lighter when at the start you could tell he was a little smaller but not much.

Now it's not a question of eating... as soon as the weeds hit the ground he's like a midget on speed, he outruns the other tort and is stuck in straight away. He basks normally, loves his baths and will dip in and out of the little water dish for a cool down or a drink when he feels like it. However compared to the other tortoise he does nothing but poo! Also what colour is their wee meant to be, is it a slight white tinge? We haven't wormed them yet are are going to after the summer months have passed as it is so hot at the moment we feel reducing their food for a few days before turniping them wouldn't be a good option nutrient wise. They have calcium / limestone floor popped on their meals and their uv light is near enough (although we are getting the t rex combined bulb soon as it helps vit d levels) so we are not too sure what's going on or if it is normal. He does sometimes start to eat grass to in the garden...again is this normal?! His shell is pretty smooth, the other one is smooth enough, you can just feel the ridges of the shell markings if that's normal. We were told they are about the same age but we think because of the shell difference one may be slightly younger (which would xplain the size difference) but we want to make sure!

any ideas?
Old 07-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
SCiARA
Incubating

It could just mean ones a faster grower than the other, maybe check the poo for worms? Do you have the licences for them as it should state on there a hatch date. Maybe a photo of them both together to establish the size difference?

3 female Hermanni Boettgeri 2 5yr & 1 6yr olds
SCiARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

The white your tortoise is passing is urates, perfectly normal. As is eating grass.
Does it say where your tortoises were from?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
saucysqueezy
Incubating

we're waiting to get our replacements from DEFRA - the breeder has filled them in for us because my numpty of a partner lost them! As far as we were aware they we UK CB their parents were from slovinia. I must admit I did not take note of the hatch date on the forms but they are from different parents so I'm assuming the dates will differ slightly
Old 08-08-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
saucysqueezy
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCiARA
It could just mean ones a faster grower than the other, maybe check the poo for worms? Do you have the licences for them as it should state on there a hatch date. Maybe a photo of them both together to establish the size difference?
I'll try and get one if they'll stay still long enough lol