Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Taszia
Hatchling

Default Pre alpin question ?

I am thinkin of trying this to mix in with a few if my weeds as weeds are harder to find in the dark some nights after work . I see there is 2 types of this pre alpin herb and the other ? Which do people find best ? Is this stuff any good as mine won't take to pellets at all . Many thanks

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Emilyjayne2012
Hatchling

It depends what age your torts are I think. I use the pre alpin baby which I think is good. It is loose so it doesnt need soaking. I sprinkle it on damp weeds and my oldest eats it happily (he will literally eat anything) but my 2 month old baby doesnt seem to like it. I think its a good idea, definitely worth a try. Jonesy (the tortoiselady) on here sells it.

Emilyjayne2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I was lucky in that my torts all ate complete pellets so it was easy to introduce it well soaked and mixed in, if you are intending to feed it as the main bulk then you'll need more than just a sprinkling. If your tort has a favourite leaf then you could try chopping the leaf and mixing the cob with it that way he can't pick out what he likes but it will need well mixing to begin with. I brought one of those mini hand choppers for one of my tiny hatchlings that wasn't eating well and that chops quite small or even put the leaves through a blender, once eating the cobs you should be able to use it as normal without chopping the food, maybe add a bit of tomatoe anything thats a favourite food. Its well worth trying the cobs though as once they are being eaten they can be used all year round for extra fiber, one member on here makes a mix a couple of times a week of pellets, cobs and a tin of tomatoes (not in salt) and his torts seem to love it. My sully would eat anything so I didn't have a problem., stick with it and it will be accepted.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Taszia
Hatchling

Yeah I intend on mixing it in with the fave weeds . I have 10 month old and a 5 month old . Just didn't know weather to try the baby as mine to chomp down well so may not be needed ? And there is a herb or another one and didn't know which seemed best ?

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'd suggest that 'baby' would be best for your little ones. The bits are shorter and easier to tackle for smaller tortoises.

I didn't have any great problem getting my tortoises to eat pre alpin. What I do is to just not offer anything else at that meal. My own experience of mixing things is that the tortoises just pick out their favourite bits and leave the rest.

My larger ones are quite keen to eat 'herb' and will also eat 'fibre' pre alpin. The Herb on comes as compacted hard cobs and the fibre is a loose material that absorbs water quicker.

'Baby' is a lot more expensive so mostly I only offer that to very small tortoises but the bigger ones will eat it too.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 06-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
jonesy
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
Yeah I intend on mixing it in with the fave weeds . I have 10 month old and a 5 month old . Just didn't know weather to try the baby as mine to chomp down well so may not be needed ? And there is a herb or another one and didn't know which seemed best ?
Hi there. For those ages I would get the baby. It is dearer but cut much finer. It is a loose mixture and you can either sprinkle onto other leaves or you can soak it which rehydrates it. Some eat it dry whilst others prefer it damp.
Have a look in my shop. Any questions then just ask. thanks
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
Easter Bunny
Adult

Most my torts will eat the Pre alpin mixed with their mazuri pellets. For the ones that aren't to keen I mix a little tined tomatoe (no salt added) with it and then they will eat it.x
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Most of my bigger torts dont like it Only one male who eats it when he feels like it I brought lots of it too! Then I was short of food & didnt have time to go picking so decided to try my hatchlings with it. (I think its herbs- pellet type, like shreaded wheat) & they went mad, cant get enough of it. I keep them well hydrated as they are not that big. Am even finding it useful for a tiny hatchling with a jaw/feeding problem who cant open her mouthvery wide, she is able to stick her head right in the dampened pellets & pull strands out

Mine wouldnt touch the baby version, so I ended up sprinkling it on the adults weeds for extra fibre, rather than waste it as it was about £16 for a tin.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
jonesy
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Most of my bigger torts dont like it Only one male who eats it when he feels like it I brought lots of it too! Then I was short of food & didnt have time to go picking so decided to try my hatchlings with it. (I think its herbs- pellet type, like shreaded wheat) & they went mad, cant get enough of it. I keep them well hydrated as they are not that big. Am even finding it useful for a tiny hatchling with a jaw/feeding problem who cant open her mouthvery wide, she is able to stick her head right in the dampened pellets & pull strands out

Mine wouldnt touch the baby version, so I ended up sprinkling it on the adults weeds for extra fibre, rather than waste it as it was about £16 for a tin.
It does seem to be the younger ones that take to it easier. probably because it's just food to them where the older ones have had years to decide what they like and what they don't. Perhaps they don't like change, just like some humans
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote