Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 15-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Roxy
Egg

Default maybe constipated?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question for you, I think our little Roxy may be constipated...I can't find a poop the last couple of days and do not know how to recognize urates..... she had a little one in his/her soak yesterday but it was almost nothing!
She has been eating spring mix sprinkled with a hay salad mix the vet gave us, little bit of cactus for a treat, I sprinkle tnt and calcium on her food every other day, once in a while kale, dandelion greans, parsley, timothy we grow for her and clover.....hmm what else...she will not eat the dry grass/hay alone.......
maybe she needs more fiber? But how do we get it into her?
any suggestions??

Thanks,
Nina
Old 15-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Hi Nina, just keep up with the soaks in warm water. I very rarely see urates from my Leopards, they like their baths and soaking in the water dishes.
It is not unusual for them to go more than a few days without pooping, when they do, it can be a huge one! One of mine shocked my daughter when it produced one longer than its own shell length in the bath, strangely she has never helped with Leopard bath times since!
so long as the diet is high fibre, and she is well hydrated, the poo will come along soon.
Old 15-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Roxy
Egg

thankyou! I know what you mean one I had seen before I couldn' t believe it either !!! LOL
Old 25-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
eric&amy
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to eric&amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraine View Post
Hi Nina, just keep up with the soaks in warm water. I very rarely see urates from my Leopards, they like their baths and soaking in the water dishes.
It is not unusual for them to go more than a few days without pooping, when they do, it can be a huge one! One of mine shocked my daughter when it produced one longer than its own shell length in the bath, strangely she has never helped with Leopard bath times since!
so long as the diet is high fibre, and she is well hydrated, the poo will come along soon.
That's good to know. Both of mine eat and drink really well. One makes a poo about once every 2 days or every other day. The other one Poops EVERYDAY! Is it common for torts to make a poo once a day?

We're moving slower then molasses on a warm day

See our 3 live at "The Box"
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/three-torts-in-a-box
eric&amy is offline   Reply With Quote