Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 04-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
rachel30b
Sub Adult

Default sleepy horsefields

i am finding that my horsefields are very sleepy compared to my hermans is this normal

i did not have them last winter so do not know if its coming to there winding down time as its turned cold

they are reasonable active when outside but when they are inside they hardly move they sit under the lamp all day asleep

5 hermans, bob, frank, simpson, marmalade and johnson
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Mel
Hatched

Hi Rachel,
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe horsefields in the wild are only active for three months of the year (quote Andy Highfield) and so I would think with the recent weather etc they're more likely to be sleepy.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Sylvia1
Adult

I have a friend who has three and every time I go around there, they seem to be asleep! I've never kept them but I have read that in their native environment, they do hibernate longer than most.

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
chatty123
Hatchling

Since I brought mine in a few days ago they have just slept all day. i did put them back out on tuesday afternoon but then it rained so hard i nearly had to call out the RNLI to rescue them. I have been waking/bathing them but all they do is have a 5 minute nibble and venture off back to bed.
they have done this from late september for the last 3 years. so i guess with the bad weather this year they're ahead of themselves..
last year i persevered until they went down for hibernation in the 2nd week of november until the end of january
chatty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
aerofine
Incubating

I have 2 horsfield's and these last 2-3 weeks they have been especially sleepy - even when outside. They have been inside for the last week as the weather has been so bad its not been worth putting them outside. I have to wake them up to put them under the lamp, coz if I didn't they would be in bed all day! Then when I get home from work they are back in their bed, so I wake them up again to bath them and to make sure they get some food.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Smile

Sorry but mine's still charging around like an idiot!! LOL!
Steph - Wife to an ever patient hubby, Mum to four children, 2 dogs, cat, 3 newts, numerous fish, an eel, 3 dwarf hamsters, my 2 baby torts Mickey & Theo (Med. spur thighs) and Mr Grumpyboots Harries (Adult male Horsfield)
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Joanne2407
Juvenile

I have two Horsfield tortoises and they are very sleepy too! I have to dig them out of their beds in the morning and put them under the heat lamp. They stay under the lamp for around 30 minutes, have a wander around the table and then go back to bed. My mam checks on them at dinner time and they are always tucked back up in bed. When I get in from work I have to wake them again and put them under the lamp, feed them and bathe them. They then go back to bed! They drive me mad and have made me quite worried. Now that I have read this post I feel a lot better. Thanks, Joanne xx
Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
tortoise lover
Hatchling

I gotta admit my 2 are charging around still and never seem to stop,they only settle down when i put the lights out and as soon as the lights are back on in the morning within 10 mine they wake up,are eating and charging around again
tortoise lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
DAISY
Adult

Mine are all still charging about as well, even my eldest who is still outside, but it is pretty mild here if not a bit wet.
There does seem to be alot of torts slowing down at the moment though and presume its gotta be connected to the weather.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
CJ
Sub Adult

Mine are charging around too! They are up sometimes before I put their
light on in the mornings and Charlie stays awake until I put the lamp off
in the evening. Ruby does go to sleep a bit earlier, but both are still
lively. If I put them outside they aren't quite as lively, but they aren't
going out for full days now as it's too cold!!
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote