Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
mikeyandjo
Egg

Exclamation bells hinged question

Hi I have Mikey and Joanne, two very gergeous bells hingeback torts. I have a concern at the moment though! When Joanne eats she makes a grinding squeakyish noise is this normal or not? Mikey doesn't seem to do it though so it worries me. thanks
mikeyandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
JQ
Egg

Hi,
I think the best policy is to pop to the vets and have joanne checked over.Better safe than sorry.
JQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
DAISY
Adult

Are you able to identify wheither it is an eating type of noise or breathing.
My baby horsfileds make a hell of a noise when eating. Crunching, munching, chomping noises that can be heard from quite a distance.
Leafy weeds can make a squeaking kind of noise, especialy if the tort holds them with a front leg and pulls on them.
I would try offering some safe flower petals that are softer and see if you still get the same kind of noise.
How is the condition of her beak, this could be the grinding noise.
Just a thought and as said if in doubt a vet trip wont hurt.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
mikeyandjo
Egg

Default eating noises

hi, yes I thinks its from her mouth like a grinding of her jaw maybe. but mikey eats the same and doesn't make noises. I was thinking of getting that cuttlefishbone so she can sharpen her beak on it? They are fussy eaters though and wont eat and flower petals they love slugs and meal worms and only some weeds. I find that I have to vary the food quite alot like they will really go for apple maybe once every three weeks but wont touch it in between so Each day they'll get different foods and not get them again for three of four weeks and i just keep plucking out new weeds every morning (I get excited when I see them really go for something new.) Have you any suggestions that they might like. i was going to try grasshoppers from the pet shop but was afraid they might not be ablbe to catch them and they really seem like predators with live food but with dead worms they arn't interested. They love to chase and pounce on them. Thanks

vici
mikeyandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Smile

Hi ya - I remember asking the same question about one of my spur thighs and I was told by a few more experienced keepers on here that it was normal.
Steph - Wife to an ever patient hubby, Mum to four children, 2 dogs, cat, 3 newts, numerous fish, an eel, 3 dwarf hamsters, my 2 baby torts Mickey & Theo (Med. spur thighs) and Mr Grumpyboots Harries (Adult male Horsfield)
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Your basic Redfoot diet is great for Hingebacks, just make sure to add a bit more protein for the Hingebacks. You might want to try earthworms with them.

Danny