Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
example999
Egg

Default Tortoise Sleeping Outside

Hi,
I recently posted about the tortoise we have unexpectedly had to look after for 2 weeks. Everyday I bring him in at night and put him in the dogs bed with some leaves (We have a briard so it is a big bed). Should I bring him in everyday or just let him sleep outside?

Thank you,
Tim
example999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by example999 View Post
Hi,
I recently posted about the tortoise we have unexpectedly had to look after for 2 weeks. Everyday I bring him in at night and put him in the dogs bed with some leaves (We have a briard so it is a big bed). Should I bring him in everyday or just let him sleep outside?

Thank you,
Tim
Unless you have extra heat outside for him it is too cold. Down here in the southeast it is back down to single figures overnight.

Can you set up a large box with some topsoil in with a basking light for early evening/early morning? Presumably he is not sharing the bed with the dog and the dog is kept well aware from him?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

to be honest I wouldn't even put him out everyday unless the sun is out, if its dull/wet etc then he'll just be miserable, he needs a heated wooden house if he's to be outside in all weathers at this time of the year. I also think you'll need to think about making a proper table with a uv source and hot/basking area. If the tort was a garden tort who lived outside without any housing before comming to you and you wish to keep him the same then you need to know a bit more about the garden he was in ie was it south facing, where did the tort sleep at night and how did he hibernate, if he hibernated by digging down in the garden he might not even be awake yet again depending on where he hibernated etc. You might get away with just providing him with a dry house to use with some substrate/bedding in it but you need to know how he was kept, we had a very wet winter so if he was dug down then he must have had a well drained garden.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
becciwales
Adult

They're only looking after it for 2 weeks!

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Suze65
Adult

As it's only for two weeks, I would just bring him in at night , in a simple box and scrunched up news paper.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
Pussygalore
Adult

I didn't see the two weeks bit but all the same the tort should be cared for in the same way its always been especially this early in the year, if it had been in the summer it wouldn't have mattered so much. I know how mine were cared for this early and wouldn't have let them be cared for differently by someone else even if only for two weeks, its why we hardly ever had holidays as we couldn't get anyone to either live in or visit twice a day. At our last house I had two friends who cared for all our animals and one did the mornings and the other the evenings and they loved it as we had quite a menagerie then.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
becciwales
Adult

Oh I appreciate that but this tort just turned up while it's owner was away so this person has kindly said they'll keep it for 2 weeks, they weren't really asked, it just kinda happened. x

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

We had white frost the past 2 mornings
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

We have had 18degrees & brilliant sunshine here most of this week but the last two nights it has been down to 4 degrees. I have a large male who likes to sleep in the greenhouse & hes been very disgruntled when I go & carry him in the shed! I would do as Suze suggested in overnight in large box.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Hanako
Hatchling

At 6 am it was only 5 degrees here in London for the last few mornings! Although it is very warm during day, it is very cold overnight.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote