Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
cherylahutch
Adult

I find it really funny when people use text speak and it is actually a longer word than if they wrote it out properly.
Old 14-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I'm with you on this, Wendy. I don't like text speak either. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned and it's the home educator in me, but even when I send a text, I write it in full English.
Bad spelling annoys me too, as does incorrect use of apostrophes, but I try to ignore it on forums as people often type quickly and make mistakes without realising. Of course some people are just lazy too but it appears text language is creeping into everyone's psyche as I hear youngsters actually voice "OMG" and "lol"... I probably sound old and stuffy but I love the English language.
I don't think it's old and stuffy to to want to see our language spoken, written and used correctly. My daughter is 17 and hates the way her peers use our language. She always uses full words when she texts or types.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
So is "I have sent you a PM" but people do it all the time
Thats slightly less annoying than text speak.
Old 14-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I don't think it's old and stuffy to to want to see our language spoken, written and used correctly. My daughter is 17 and hates the way her peers use our language. She always uses full words when she texts or types.
My fourteen year old is the same. I hope he continues to do so. I find it shocking that teens are actually using text speak in their written exams. Not good!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Levi
Hatched

JTLYK that I hate txtspeak, I really hate lol

BTW FWIW I generally can't be bothered to look up what it means. NTIM
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

It's just a version of shorthand for the modern era. Perhaps some of us will get left out of some communication if we either decide not to adapt or are unable to do so for some reason.

C U L8tr

Ozric
Old 14-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
It's just a version of shorthand for the modern era. Perhaps some of us will get left out of some communication if we either decide not to adapt or are unable to do so for some reason.

C U L8tr

Ozric
Shorthand was used by secretaries and the like to take dictation more quickly. Text speak was invented to send shorter messages, so keeping the cost down. I understand the reason for text speak and it has a place. That place is not on a forum or in general use. Typing a message on a forum does not cost money so full words and sentences should be used.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I'm not sure that text speak was invented to save money since texting was cheap from the start and now it is virtually free. I suspect it is more about speed especially on a tiny keyboard in situations like being on a bus.

Quite a lot of people take part in the forum using mobile phones and typing out real words can be slow and awkward.

Having said all that, I don't really like it either! But it just might be impossible to stop.
Old 15-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
Pussygalore
Adult

for many of us writing on the forums is the only writing we do, most don't bother with letters and unless you work in an office posts are 'it' at least for me. In my case as I've got older the old brain starts to slow down and I have found the typing certainly helps with what brain cells I have left, I actually love writing and although I do read the text or whatever its called do like to see others making the effort to also try to write. My dad who's in his late 80's has started buying quiz magazines and has found that apart from improving his concentration its very addictive, what is it they say 'if you don't use it loose it'. The only way to improve our writing and spelling skills is to practise and the forums are an ideal place to do so, without those skills the chances of finding a job become less.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I'm not sure that text speak was invented to save money since texting was cheap from the start and now it is virtually free. I suspect it is more about speed especially on a tiny keyboard in situations like being on a bus.

Quite a lot of people take part in the forum using mobile phones and typing out real words can be slow and awkward.

Having said all that, I don't really like it either! But it just might be impossible to stop.
It is called a SMS (short message service) so if you've got some important information to relay using the Queens english you could easily use up your 160 characters and need to send two texts, which wouldn't be at all book. (predictive text for cool I think) so the shorter the better and quicker as you have already pointed out.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote