Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #21
piglet
Adult

Tgi and Tgg should never ever be mixed
Tgg are delicate tortoises who's range is mainly North Africa through to Syria and Israel, all Tgi's sub species are unique to there range they never come into contact with either Thb or Tgi and rarely if ever do the boundaries of Tgg overlap regarding sub species of Tgg, they are all isolated populations that have evolved there own pathogens that when mixed pass these on to each other causing RNS type symptoms that often prove fatal.

This is one dam good example of mixing populations from isolated areas
When White settles first went to the states there resistance to the common cold, measles etc was extremely strong unfortunately the native people didn't have these resistances and the common cold wiped out thousands of people.

So by mixing these species/sub species you are in effect signing there death warrant
Anyone considering mixing in my opinion is dam right cruel
D
Old 09-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #22
helen1
Sub Adult

Can I just clarify...
White settlers spread disease that wiped out natives......now the "natives" are I presume immune to some extent that we all are to the common cold?

We are not talking about introducing a group of torts to a different group in group 2's native country. That would have the potential to wipe out the native population.

We are talking about mixing individual torts, which have been poss.bred in UK to one another?

Surely this is a different scenario?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
EJ
Adult

That's one opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
Tgi and Tgg should never ever be mixed
Tgg are delicate tortoises who's range is mainly North Africa through to Syria and Israel, all Tgi's sub species are unique to there range they never come into contact with either Thb or Tgi and rarely if ever do the boundaries of Tgg overlap regarding sub species of Tgg, they are all isolated populations that have evolved there own pathogens that when mixed pass these on to each other causing RNS type symptoms that often prove fatal.

This is one dam good example of mixing populations from isolated area
When White settles first went to the states there resistance to the common cold, measles etc was extremely strong unfortunately the native people didn't have these resistances and the common cold wiped out thousands of people.

So by mixing these species/sub species you are in effect signing there death warrant
Anyone considering mixing in my opinion is dam right cruel
D
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #24
piglet
Adult

No I still disagree strongly each is unique to its self, I have in the past mixed captive bred Tunisians with captive bred baby Ibera, the Tunisians where fine for two years by them selves but when mixed with the baby ibera they became seriously ill with RNS related problems and before any one says all my animals are fighting fit and healthy mixing is cruel and not necessary , if you need a different species sub species and can't offer the separate room DON'T GET THEM
There are very few native Americans left most that didn't die in war and land disputes died of viral disease spread by white settles
D
Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
piglet
Adult

Ed it might only be one opinion but many if not hundreds practice my way they just don't stress theer opinion, I know in the states they believe in mixing , but again not all agree over there either, but here and most of europe we don't mix and have seen the results death or long term illness

D
Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #26
EJ
Adult

Most of my opinion comes from europe and especially the UK.

These are people who collected tortoises on holiday many years ago before the current restrictions.

Where do you think those tortoises in the garden from antie jane came from?

This has nothing to do with the states.

Think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
Ed it might only be one opinion but many if not hundreds practice my way they just don't stress theer opinion, I know in the states they believe in mixing , but again not all agree over there either, but here and most of europe we don't mix and have seen the results death or long term illness

D
and
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #27
piglet
Adult

I thought we where discussing mixing species not collecting animals from the wild .
As for the average back garden tortoise I have taken hundreds of these in and never except on the odd occasion have I ever had different sub species handed in that have lived together without problems
I don't agree with mixing at all you can go on for ever I will never agree it cruel and not necessary , as said if you want more than one species /sub species provide separate accommodation
I stress to all thinking about mixing don't do it and don't listen to anyone who says its fine its not.
D
Old 09-10-2007, 10:19 PM   #28
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i very very strongly agree with piglet. there is no actual reason to mix to different animals weather sub species or not.

what excalty does my opion comes from europe and the u.k., ur opion come from what you beleive not on the standards of a country.

many things are different from here and in the states, over there it is the norm to feed live rodents to ur snakes, where as here it is fround upon and i beleive it is illegal.
many forums i have been on that are american based keep anoles and plated lizards with torts, and have mutli climates in whicht hey keep lizards and frogs together to have a mini ecosystem.

CB animals don't have as many problems but they have a less immune system (or so i thought). these animals are been kept together not by there requirements but by pure statifaction from the owner if this happens. i just don't see the need to do it.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #29
EJ
Adult

Default mixing species

I know people on this list mix species. I know people on this list know my point.

I'll leave it at that.
and
Old 09-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #30
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

o...k then
Closed Thread