Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
lisa
Hatched

Hi Danny

It was about 3 months ago. How big will he get, I measured him over the top of his shell, is that right? if not how should I do it?

Thanks.

Lisa
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Lisa have a look at this thread on how to measure tortoises http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/...ight=measuring

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
lisa
Hatched

Opps he's only 8 & 1/2 Inches, typical man thinking he's bigger

What weight should he be?

Thanks.

Lisa
Old 02-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Lisa,
At 217mm he should weight 1,507g, so he is still underweight. He should get 30cm or so He'll probably need some time to settle in before he starts eating.
How is he set-up?

Danny
Old 02-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
lisa
Hatched

He's outside during the day in a converted sand pit, much to my 2 year old's disgust, with wire mesh and covered top for shade, he spends most of his time in the shade does that sound right.

At night he's in an under bed box at the moment until I can get something else sorted, I have an old chest of draws that screaming at me to take apart and re-vamp. He comes in at about 6pm and I haven't been putting the light on do you think I should to encourage him to eat? It comes on automatically at 7am and he goes out at about 10am, the Garden is sunny from about 9am to at least 7pm so he should be getting enough UV if he comes out of the shade when I'm not there.

He used to be in a glass tank so I think it will take him a while to get used to his new environment.

Thanks for all your help.

Lisa
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
bruceleetortoise

if it was me, id take him to a vet, just to be sure them bites are ok, if its not entirely healed and treated it could lead to shell rot!!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
lisa
Hatched

All the holes have been filled, looks like his been to the dentist, could they still get infection in them?

Lisa
Old 02-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #18
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

If it's only been 3 months and the holes are filled, then yes it's possible to get an infection in the holes up to a year after. Though if you smell each and every place and any of them smell rotten, then definately a trip to the vets is in order. When your trying to settle in a tortoise especially on that's had problems like this one. Try to stick with one place, usually inside, until he does settle in and starts to eat. Going in and out in a new place is confusing him and it will take longer for him to settle in.

Danny
Old 03-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #19
lisa
Hatched

Hi Danny thanks for the advice, how long should it be before he starts eating, I have been soaking him every other day to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated.

Will be keeping him in from now on, shame as it such lovely weather done here at the moment.

Thanks again

Lisa.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #20
lisa
Hatched

Dear all

We have success Thomas is finally eating he could no longer resist the dandelion leaves and was tucking in nicely at lunchtime. I was a bit worried he hadn’t had anything but feel a lot better now.

What would you suggest to build his weight up, I know a couple of you said he was under weight?

Thanks for all your advice.

Lisa