Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
shnarf
Egg

Default Sleepy tortoise help

Wondered if I could have some advice pls my tortoise is very sleepy he's still eating a bit but then goes back into his hidey hut to sleep I'm waking him and bathing him but he just goes back to his hut and doesn't seem to want to wander about like he used to a while ago. He's only one year and half and we haven't hibernates him, he's in a tortoise table with a cool end and a heat lamp which is his hot end and has a uv lamp in the middle just a bit worried as he used to be quite active should I get him up and out more?
shnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
purplelynn
Sub Adult

Could you tell us some more about the temperatures hot and cold ends, the type of set-up, diet how long lights are on for etc and then we may be able to offer some more help

Also how long have you had your tort?

What species do you have?
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
shnarf
Egg

Hey my tortoise is a Herman he was hatched in aug 2009 and we got him/her in nov 2009 I'm not sure exactly of the temps as the battery has run out on the digital thermometer and I'll get a new one tomorrow his lights come on at 7am and go off at 7pm he eats dandelion water cress and rocket mostly I used to give him spinach but heard that's not good So stopped that a while ago
Hope that's ok and you can help
Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

This question appears on an almost daily basis throughout winter so you are not alone.

the things you are feeding should only be fed about once a week but that's nothing to do with the sleeping.. unless it has caused a huge bladder stone.

The night time temperatures affect daytime behaviour, too cold at night and they won't do anything next day.

Low pressure as in weather conditions outside will make them inactive as they can sense when it's bad weather.

Temperatures too low in daytime will make them inactive.

Worms will/can make them inactive.

Eating too much and not being warm enough to digest it could make them inactive. They don't digest stuff if not warm enough.

illness like RNS can make them inactive.

Too hot could make them inactive. you URGENTLY need those batteries BTW.

Dehydration could make them inactive, regular baths at least once a day should be given.

can't think of any others right now
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
shnarf
Egg

How do I know if he's ill! God I hope he isn't what should I feed his then I was told those things were ok! Now you've really worried me tho I think it maybe to do with temps
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

a varied weed diet is good. if weeds are not available then florette crispy salad or romaine lettuce is handy or pellets twice a week.

most likely temperature related but if it's been too cool for a few days they won't jump into action instantly. a working thermometer is required before you can tell anything
Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

Try not to worry too much at the moment Shnarf - it will in likelihood be something that can be tweaked and then your tort can be active and happy again! Like Alan says, get the batteries in the thermometer and let us all know the readings as that is a likely cause. The temperature is fluctuating a lot at the moment and it can drop quite low at night, if this is the case then upping the temps a bit at night could make a positive difference. Adding a nice selection from a Florette crispy salad should also go down well at this time of year
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

just to add, the basking lamp and UV lamp should be close to each other so that when basking, it's getting UVB at the same time. If they are not close to each other it will not be getting enough UVB. It's vital to sprinkle Nutrobal on the food (unless it's pellets) and provide calcium by way of limestone flour and cuttlefish bone.

None of that has anything to do with the sleepy problem but is very important all the same.

Also, a tort that is quite new to you can just be doing what you are saying simply because it hasn't settled in, it can sometimes take a couple of months. Having said that, my torts take it in turns to behave in a similar way to that. I happen to think that when they have a spurt of growth they eat like a horse and when they don't they don't eat nearly as much, that's just my observations though
Old 11-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

I agree with Al on all the points he has raised.. Sounds to me like the UV light needs to be more nearer the basking light. IMO, I would think about investing in either a UV Strip such as an Arcadia 10/15% D3 tube (you will need a starter for these) or a combined UV/heat bulb. Having the UV bulb compacts not only the UV but the general light aspect into one spot. Other areas of the enclosure not only wont get that light aspect but also the tort wont benefit from much of a UV spread.
I would ask what the wattage is of the heat bulb too....I presume its just a normal spot but the heat output might be too low. I would consider a 100w halogen if you are using separates (ie - heat bulb & UV source).
You definitely need to get the digital thermometer working again. This is vital to make sure your temp readings are good or to adjust things if they are too low. The light aspect making the enclosure a bit dark also could play a factor, as could night time temps - consider (if the room temp drops below 15degrees) either a ceramic heat emitter (you will need the fixtures for this) or a heat mat that can be suspended to the side of where the tort sleeps. Both will need to be rigged up to either a thermostat or rheostat. Hope this helps. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

What more can I add

Let's start by doing a process of elimination, as Caledonia has said, start with the batteries, get that thermometer working , take some temps and we'll go from there...one step at a time

We'll have him stomping around in no time