Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 13-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #31
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I can try Ed

I find the taxonomy of the Testudo genus very interesting

Google this article Ed (I can't link to PDF files)
Mitochondrial Phylogeography of Testudo graeca in the Western Mediterranean: Old Complex Divergence in North Africa and Recent Arrival in Europe

Danny
Old 13-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #32
EJ
Adult

I will... thank you for the reference but I'm sure that you realize... without even glancing the article... that is more than half the argument.

DNA should be a tool as part of taxonomy. The basic method shoud stand.

This is more for the benefit of those who have an interest and don't delve into taxonomy as deep...

It seems that there are programs which you can enter the genetic data and it will spit out a species... I think it is way more complex than that.

This same thing goes on with Lampropeltis and Elaphe... both snake species... sorry but the broad range and the overlap of the races leads to the same argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
I can try Ed

I find the taxonomy of the Testudo genus very interesting

Google this article Ed (I can't link to PDF files)
Mitochondrial Phylogeography of Testudo graeca in the Western Mediterranean: Old Complex Divergence in North Africa and Recent Arrival in Europe

Danny
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #33
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Shows you how much I'm behind the times... I don't even know what maro... maro... whatever... is. Seriously... never heard of that subspecies.

I've got 2 T. greaca that I got as golden greeks... one is obvious. The other... a female... I'd love to pair up. I raised her from 4 inches to 7 inches. Unbelievable personality... maybe Danny can ID her for me.

As you get more into the hobby you'll see it is a big deal... more than you can imagine... and it's not really about you... or I... or Danny.

If you look into it... it is a very interesting topic... the taxonomy of the Testudo group.
Ed,
I have emailed you with pic's, but a friend here in the UK has a breeding group of "Gloden Greeks" T g floweri 1:1 + seven youngsters bred since 2001
He is currently looking to move this group on. All obviously, have correct CITES paperwork, and the origins of the two breeding Adults was Lebanon.
In respect of Taxonomy, of the T graeca group, it is interesting the current situation, and I am looking forward to see Jarmo Perala, at a German Conference next week to learn of current developments in this area.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
EJ
Adult

I believe Perala and one group has been working on sorting out the Testudo group for going on 6 years now. There is another German group doing the same thing for just as long. I've always wondered why they just didn't colaberate. When they are done (if ever) it will be interesting how it all shakes out.

Thanks on the tortoises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Ed,
I have emailed you with pic's, but a friend here in the UK has a breeding group of "Gloden Greeks" T g floweri 1:1 + seven youngsters bred since 2001
He is currently looking to move this group on. All obviously, have correct CITES paperwork, and the origins of the two breeding Adults was Lebanon.
In respect of Taxonomy, of the T graeca group, it is interesting the current situation, and I am looking forward to see Jarmo Perala, at a German Conference next week to learn of current developments in this area.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote