Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #41
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Is it possible that it can't operate it's legs properly due to the shape of the shell rather than due to MBD? It could be both of course. It does need a vet though.

The OP shouldn't be slated after coming on here (on behalf of the owner) looking for help, that's what will scare off others from doing the same
I'm guessing those nails can't be all that comfy to walk on either.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #42
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Cookiee -

I sincerely hope you continue to update us with how this tort gets on.

Finding out how this tort has been kept will help to educate us all, and we are here for your friend to help in any way we can.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #43
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Is it possible that it can't operate it's legs properly due to the shape of the shell rather than due to MBD? It could be both of course. It does need a vet though.

The OP shouldn't be slated after coming on here (on behalf of the owner) looking for help, that's what will scare off others from doing the same
I think everyone kept very calm Alan. we were all mindful of the situation and also of giving misleading and confusing info. I think the OP was able to pass on valuable info to the owner and learned how to care for his/her own tortoise at the same time.

I hope they both come back so we can help them further. No one wants to lay blame or point fingers. The animal is all that's important and they will get all the advice they need here.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #44
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
I kind of agree with that. The reason though why WC ones fed on veg have smooth shells is because WC ones are either nearly full grown or well into adulthood.

Yes, my point exactly! This damage could have been done before this owner got this tort & of course who do we usually take advise from with a first tort? The breeder/person we brought it off.

I agree the owner needs help, not condemnation.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #45
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I think everyone kept very calm Alan. we were all mindful of the situation and also of giving misleading and confusing info. I think the OP was able to pass on valuable info to the owner and learned how to care for his/her own tortoise at the same time.

I hope they both come back so we can help them further. No one wants to lay blame or point fingers. The animal is all that's important and they will get all the advice they need here.
Yes, I'm saying that though before it starts
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #46
Robster
Banned
Incubating

The problem is the OP has claimed the tortoise was " well looked after" and " like this when bought form the breeder" If the tortoise was like that when bought from the breeder you have to ask why on earth did they buy it? I don't think it would have been born like that. Plus, I think it looks dehydrated. That isn't because of how it was kept by the breeder.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #47
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster View Post
The problem is the OP has claimed the tortoise was " well looked after" and " like this when bought form the breeder" If the tortoise was like that when bought from the breeder you have to ask why on earth did they buy it? I don't think it would have been born like that. Plus, I think it looks dehydrated. That isn't because of how it was kept by the breeder.
There is no point in apportioning blame. The damage is done however it happened, now the OP needs help in trying to make things better for the animal. We don't know how long the OP has had the tortoise and who had it before. The person they bought it from may have said they were the breeder, no one knows the whole story. It's not important, the important thing is we give the correct advice from now.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #48
Robster
Banned
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
There is no point in apportioning blame. The damage is done however it happened, now the OP needs help in trying to make things better for the animal. We don't know how long the OP has had the tortoise and who had it before. The person they bought it from may have said they were the breeder, no one knows the whole story. It's not important, the important thing is we give the correct advice from now.
Yes, excellent points. Couldn't agree more.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #49
EJ
Adult

The tortoise is not shaped properly... that does not indicate it has MBD for sure BUT I suspect it does. It is a sad looking tortoise. I would think the environmental conditions are the cause.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote