Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 29-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Steve Graffham
Egg

Default Controlling or Discouraging egg production

Since coming out of hibernation on 14th Feb this year, both my female Hermanns have up to date laid three clutches of eggs with fertility being 90-100% for the last 2 clutches each. They seem to be laying the clutches with only about 20 days between each one. As much as I enjoy rearing the hatchlings as I have done over the past few years, I really only wish to rear around 20-25 hatchlings. Rather than simply dispose of the eggs when exumed from the nests, I would rather that the tortoises laid just a couple of clutches each year as opposed to using resources on heavy egg production. Does anyone know if it is possible to discourage or control egg production in tortoises?
The male lives behind a partition and only runs with the females when I think mating needs to take place.
Steve Graffham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graffham View Post
Since coming out of hibernation on 14th Feb this year, both my female Hermanns have up to date laid three clutches of eggs with fertility being 90-100% for the last 2 clutches each. They seem to be laying the clutches with only about 20 days between each one. As much as I enjoy rearing the hatchlings as I have done over the past few years, I really only wish to rear around 20-25 hatchlings. Rather than simply dispose of the eggs when exumed from the nests, I would rather that the tortoises laid just a couple of clutches each year as opposed to using resources on heavy egg production. Does anyone know if it is possible to discourage or control egg production in tortoises?
The male lives behind a partition and only runs with the females when I think mating needs to take place.

There is no way to stop a female laying eggs. Even if you were to seperate male and female, the female will continue to lay eggs. They might well be infertile eventually, but they will still lay eggs.
If I am not going to breed, I just leave the eggs in the ground:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I haven't had this problem (yet!) but I've seen the question asked before and answered the way Sandy has.

Lots of keepers get to a stage where they could easily have far more hatchlings than they can look after or find decent homes for.

Steve I believe your females are doing as nature intended!
Old 30-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Steve Graffham
Egg

Default Discouraging egg production

Thanks for your responses. Hopefully my girls will have a break from laying soon.
Steve Graffham is offline   Reply With Quote