Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 28-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
yuna1971
Adult

Glyn, thanks for that.
I think maybe the best option for me is to buy a new 160w MR. This will mean changing the holder too but its needs must. I wont risk meltdown with the current one. True, that probably wont happen but cant take that risk when I am at work all day.
It might just make the difference.
I dont really want to add more lamps Vicks. I have 4 in there now. Its just too much.
1 is the ceramic for night time. 1 is the halogen 50w (which might not be needed much once I change bulbs for basking), then the MR 120w, and the strip running accross the entire thing. I just dont want to add more - again, too much to think about when at work.
Wigwamman, thanks for putting your thoughts in! I dont really want to change to a viv. I am happy with the initial set up. Its too much to do to even move whats in there now. I think Lily does like how things are.
This is all for my peice of mind that the room has contained warmth, plus providing a good solid basking spot for Lily.
I guess I just worry too much over little things....I say it just needs tweaking to fellow posters, I should take my own advice I guess once in a while.
What do you all think - Al , Paul - where are you?? Read and let me know what you think...I think the change of wattage might just make the difference - that with the halogen to come on as a back up?? xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
yuna1971
Adult

Its hard to ditch the MR that I have. It has served me well and still throwing out good UV, its a year old......perhaps I can reuse it in due time when temps get a little easier. CAN THAT be done or will it just rot once I take it out and basically cant use it again...???????????????????

Lily's Movie.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
yuna1971
Adult

OR....am I worrying for nothing, and just LEAVE all as is........................?????????????
Oh blumming heck.............I cant cope, my brain cant cope!

Lily's Movie.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
wigwamman
Juvenile

i think you need to get the wine out.
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Its hard to ditch the MR that I have. It has served me well and still throwing out good UV, its a year old......perhaps I can reuse it in due time when temps get a little easier. CAN THAT be done or will it just rot once I take it out and basically cant use it again...???????????????????
You have just thought what i do with Combined bulb's Rach, swop them over from new higher wattage for winter, and back to the non depleated old one's for spring, mine are outside though by this time.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
yuna1971
Adult

You'll get used to me like this.....I have always been a worry wart and headcase, WWM!

Lily's Movie.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
yuna1971
Adult

PAUL -So what do you think, change it to a 160w for now, keep the 120w and change back when better milder temps outside? It should boost the ambient and the basking one would think...wouldnt it?
Yay Paul!!!

Lily's Movie.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

The Arcadia is not producing high heat, but the bulb has been reliable and with my setup in the shed, i can run a 100w spot along side it.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
yuna1971
Adult

Cant understand why as a 160w it doesnt act like one!. People will buy and expect that sort of heat output. See my earlier questions.....What do you think? Then its a case of which one will do what I want??

Lily's Movie.
Old 28-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
PAUL -So what do you think, change it to a 160w for now, keep the 120w and change back when better milder temps outside? It should boost the ambient and the basking one would think...wouldnt it?
Yay Paul!!!
It would once the bulb height has been set, if you hit some cooler temp's in your house for a period, i would ride it out. There is not much more that you can do for Lilly, equipment wise. If he goes into a bit of a slow down the next couple of months, it will do him no harm as i see because he is healthy, the lamp's on will bring him back up after a natural temp rise.