Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #21
Suze65
Adult

Lynn, I can completely understand your excitement over a sink in the garage, that would get me excited too, if I had a garage
Keith , I'm glad you have solved your own canundrum ( spelling ) that's why I think these threads are so good , sharing ideas, helps us to do just that.

I don't think I will put any climbers in, as I have just got rid of the last ones , for the new fence to go up, and they take over, so I'm just planting so taller plants against the new fence. The babies will have a slightly bigger area, cos there used to be a low breeze block wall I front of the fence which has now gone, and a border of pebbles which is now gone, so they have an extra couple of foot, so more room for plants, which they love to hide under. I can't wait to get started.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 13-01-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #22
CherryBrandy
Adult

I am loving reading this thread and a reminder spring isn't far away ! I think definitely thin out the plants - I do love a potted garden and try and grow trailing plants so the torts can eat til out of reach nd then it grows and in reach again. I also do the turn over hanging basket trick - same principle - plant grows through the gaps. I have lots of shingle area too and plant nasturtiums - they grow up through the shingle - no soil underneath...and pansies and that way the little ones have warm shingle or rocks to sit on, or loose pieces of decking or slate and plants grow between - in winter I pull them all up and start again ! love it !! Hollyhocks is fab idea and they attract bees, honeysuckle is great to train and mould too, what about chicory - amazing beautiful flowers too and it grows really tall if left along - hip height ish...but depends how tall you are ! Getting all my gravel boards ready to paint and stand up with pots either side too ! like the planning stages too and will be readyin for a hot house area ...no sauna, just for torts , CB
Old 13-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #23
Suze65
Adult

All this talk is making me start to miss my torts, and I can't wait to get them up, and start upgrading their enclosures.
My hubby has announced today, that when he gets the new sheds built, there will also be a section for the torts it will be like a multi-storey tortoise park, with 4 layers of tables, strong enough for soil substrate , fully insulated and with electrics, this will be for when they wake up in the spring and really bad summers. It will also be for hibernation. I'm so excited

Old 13-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #24
Jan W
Sub Adult

I planted tall cosmos. Very pretty, used 3 colours and lasted until well into autumn. They used it for shade and didn't eat it, even when I picked the flowers for them.

Beatrice is a little piggy but I just let her eat what she wants, but never hand feed her. IF I sprinkle nutrobol on she will eat, whereas Bertie will not eat the weed in the garden if I put nutrobol on. He seems to eat little and I do offer picked weeds to tempt him and put nutrobol on, as I worry a bit. Sometimes he turns up his nose and other times eats as if he hasn't eaten for ages. He is half the weight of Beatrice, same age.
Old 15-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #25
Gordon
Adult

Suze these are all grand plans have you moved to a house with a bigger garden.
You know you can get big planting tubs and put shrubs climbing plants etc in and move them around I have quite a few and it works.
http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk...lant_Pots.html

Last edited by Gordon; 15-01-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #26
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Suze these are all grand plans have you moved to a house with a bigger garden.
You know you can get big planting tubs and put shrubs climbing plants etc in and move them around I have quite a few and it works.
http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk...lant_Pots.html
Haha thanks for the vote of confidence, I think you were the person who said " there's loads of space here, I could get more tortoises in here"
The new sheds are going down the side of the kitchen, you know where I mean.
Purpose built for different things, one section will be for hibernation and will double up with 4 tortoise tables ,which Can be made to measure, so decent size, for the spring and really ****ty summer weather, so I don't have to have them in the house. And I'm only talking about a few extra plants.

Old 15-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #27
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
All this talk is making me start to miss my torts, and I can't wait to get them up, and start upgrading their enclosures.
My hubby has announced today, that when he gets the new sheds built, there will also be a section for the torts it will be like a multi-storey tortoise park, with 4 layers of tables, strong enough for soil substrate , fully insulated and with electrics, this will be for when they wake up in the spring and really bad summers. It will also be for hibernation. I'm so excited
That sounds amazing, Suze. I'll be looking forward to photos later in the year.
I've been sat ordering my seeds ready to start propagating next month with my little gardener. I love this time of year when I can browse through the seeds, buy the usual favourites and plan some new things for the garden.
There wasn't much chance to do any gardening last year so I'm really looking forward to it this year.
How fab that your hubby is providing a special space for your torts in his new sheds.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #28
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Haha thanks for the vote of confidence, I think you were the person who said " there's loads of space here, I could get more tortoises in here"
The new sheds are going down the side of the kitchen, you know where I mean.
Purpose built for different things, one section will be for hibernation and will double up with 4 tortoise tables ,which Can be made to measure, so decent size, for the spring and really ****ty summer weather, so I don't have to have them in the house. And I'm only talking about a few extra plants.
I was and I'm sure I said you could get some nice tortoise sheds down the side and I'm sure you said he would never go for that so how did you change his mind.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #29
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I was and I'm sure I said you could get some nice tortoise sheds down the side and I'm sure you said he would never go for that so how did you change his mind.
My neighbour built a lovely wall which would take a bespoke lean to shed all along that side bit, and rather than do the little shed right at the bottom of the garden 😂for the torts, they would be better and safer down the side of the house 😄 ta dah

Old 15-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #30
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
That sounds amazing, Suze. I'll be looking forward to photos later in the year.
I've been sat ordering my seeds ready to start propagating next month with my little gardener. I love this time of year when I can browse through the seeds, buy the usual favourites and plan some new things for the garden.
There wasn't much chance to do any gardening last year so I'm really looking forward to it this year.
How fab that your hubby is providing a special space for your torts in his new sheds.
Ah yes this will be your first proper summer in your new garden, now that's what I call exciting, starting on a new garden. I can't wait to hear all about it, and may be some pics please.