Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Edited when I realised I was off topic!

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 12-01-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #12
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
You could try Russian Vine to grow up the fence as although they shouldn't have too much they can only reach it so far. Also maybe honeysuckle.
Do you find they then try to climb fences Mary?

I woukd like a grapevine. I have a greenhouse but a bit scared to grow it up a fence (Margies might be ok but im not sure on Hermans or Russians lol)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
burnt toast
Adult

I am quite excited about & planning lots of tweaks this spring:
Hubby has put me a sink & work surface in the back of our garage (hasnt connected hot water yet! But thats coming lol) I am ridiculously happy about this as it will be handy, close to the garden & stop me wandering through house with mucky feet.

We have just made a huge raised bed. 25 foot x 3. From decking. Only made it this weekend it isnt finished yet. I still have to paint it, line it & fill it! So this will be edibles (I already have several other beds.)

I might (not sure yet) make a wooden hatchling enclosure.

& various other improvements like wooden lids to provide shade in my margie girls area ( in the areas that they already shelter but theres not quite enough shade!

Then of course theres planting! My problem is stopping them devouring the lot before its grown. Last summer I sectioned areas off with little fences , which the plan was to move around replenishing an area at a time but OMG it was like a red rag to a bull! They HAD to beat the challenge and get in there! Particularly my Hermans, then just eat the lot, usually including roots!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #14
burnt toast
Adult

Oh & a couple of "hot boxs" for my male margies as they are my only torts who dont have a greenhouse.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:46 PM   #15
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Do you find they then try to climb fences Mary?

I woukd like a grapevine. I have a greenhouse but a bit scared to grow it up a fence (Margies might be ok but im not sure on Hermans or Russians lol)
I don't have any problems with them climbing up although must confess I don't have any in my Horsfield pen as they might have a go at escaping. Not sure about a grapevine as the stem would be thicker and more substantial so might encourage climbing. I've got one but it's by the house and very useful for feeding the torts the leaves.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 PM   #16
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
I don't have any problems with them climbing up although must confess I don't have any in my Horsfield pen as they might have a go at escaping. Not sure about a grapevine as the stem would be thicker and more substantial so might encourage climbing. I've got one but it's by the house and very useful for feeding the torts the leaves.
Thanks Mary. Did you buy plants for both of these or from seed?

I have had some big bushy conifers cut in half & slimmed down, hence having space for the raised bed. So I am hoping this will let a lot more light in for the torts/ plants
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #17
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Keith can I ask what makes you so sure Jerry is eating 'too much' ?
Are you not happy with his shell growth?
On the whole, I'm really happy with his growth. Which for a captive tort is quite slow and even. However, I'm always looking to make things better. I feel we owe it to them to make their lives and health as good as we can. As you know, I try to aim for a naturalistic approach.
Suze is right when she says that our summer is similar to a Med spring when food is lush a prevalent. The only problem with this is that our torts outdoor season in southern England is longer than a Med spring..therefore more food available.
Whilst I was pondering this in the bath earlier, I had a bit of a eureka moment.
It occurred to me that I actually encouraged prolific summertime weed growth in Jerry's enclosure by regularly watering it. This I think was a mistake, it would not happen in the wild and the tortoises would eat a drier and less nutritious diet.
So, I appear to have solved my own conundrum..Jerry's enclosure will receive no irrigation this year, other than that which nature provides....He will still get his regular baths, obviously.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 12-01-2017 at 12:08 AM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #18
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Lynn's plans are impressive. And I can see how great it would be to have an outdoor sink unit.

I bought a load of wood (very chunky sleeper type stuff) in the summer but didn't get round to doing anything with it. I have planned out the new enclosure which will encompass the current one, taking up more the garden. This will be quite a lot of work and I really must get a start in early spring. I've got the long screws and the powerful new drill!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:13 AM   #19
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Thanks Mary. Did you buy plants for both of these or from seed?

I have had some big bushy conifers cut in half & slimmed down, hence having space for the raised bed. So I am hoping this will let a lot more light in for the torts/ plants
Both the Russian Vine and the Honeysuckle were well grown when we moved in so we built the pens around them. We planted the vine about twenty years ago.

We are gradually reducing the number of conifers we have as well as hey take away a lot of light and goodness from the ground.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #20
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Thanks Keith for that reply to the question which I'd suddenly removed!

The raised bed that I grow a lot of my torts' food in is low in fertility and is mostly coir which hasn't had any nutrient added to it. Even so the growth looks lush and green in summer but of course it rains a lot here.

I think your idea of thinning out the food plants sounds like a good one but if conditions are good for a tortoise to grow I'm not convinced that this is a problem.