Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 25-07-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
veebee
Sub Adult

Default Cloudy, dull or rainy days

I know the experts will think this is a really dumb question, but if its cloudy, or bit dull and rainy is it ok to just leave the tortoises out (in my case spur thigh, leopards and horsfield). As at the moment if it goes dull and rains I dont dart out to fetch the washing in anymore instead I dart out and get the torties back in the house and under their lamps!!!! Incase it is too cold for them or they get shell rot. And I'm certainly not brave enough like Peter (henry flash to leave them out at night - well done Pete!!!)

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
piglet
Adult

Vee in my experience as long as the outside enclosure provides cover in the form of deep substrate or a house for the tortoise to shelter in or under thenno they will be fine leftout through the summer months .
If though the weather persists in being dull and misrable moving to a green house or opentable enclosure with adquet lighting may be nessacary.

leopard tortoises are sun and heat lovers so again you have to play this by ear unless they have shelter ie heated shed or green house to retire to as needed then again best bring them in .

Vee what i tend to do if i'm unsure of the weather is sit out in a T shirt if i feel its to cool for me to be comfortable then i believe its to cool for the tropical type tortoises to function as normal.
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
veebee
Sub Adult

Thanks Darren great advice

Viv
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Mine are loving it outside there much more active than before when I was bringing them in. My hermanns love rain and come out to eat and explore when it starts, whereas my gracea gracea goes into his shelter and sits at the entrance until it stops lol.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote