Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

I had one delightful keeper who decided to have a go at breaking up my marrige. By getting an
equally low keeper to post a valentines card to my husband. Thankfully someone told me before
hand so I was aware of it. Told my husband and he could not believe anyone could be so dispicable.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Oh thats horrible, i get nasty emails all the time, i have got threatened many a time, but i ignore them. It was hard at first as i thought what have i dont why are they being so nasty, but after a chat to sandy and darren they told me to ignore it.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
sandy
Adult

Its the only way to ignore, they then have to unfortuantly pick on someone who will respond.
It gets up their noses so much more when they are ignored<vbg>. And at the end of the day
they are not worth a second of anyone with an ounce of common sense of their time.
They live their sad lives by living off others insecturity.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
clairekentuk
Incubating

Anyone know why a minority of tortoise keepers are so nasty?

Without people advertising to rehome, there may be people who never find a loving home for their tortoise.

I recently rehomed a Hermann and the lady was very happy he will eventually live with more tortoises as she wasnt able to provide the best for him. She was a loverly lady and we were united as a result of someone advertising but not only being interested in tortoises for his own collection but in the welfare of tortoises. He wasnt able to take due to being full/male heavy but still made an effort to find a good home for him on her behalf.

Who knows where he might have gone.

I like what Lisa and others do, they are giving tortoises the chance to find good homes at no profit to themselves but for the welfare of the tortoise alone.

People can be jealous or whatever but you do what you think is right and keep at it. And may you be able to offer as many torts as you can a loving home - there are lots out there that need it! Post even more adverts Lisa, if you can give a good home for just one tortoise through the ads then surely it is worth it. Especially when you see what bad care can do to a tortoise.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
piglet
Adult

I have had some of the most irritating emails and abuse across the net you could imagine, mind you some of you on here now exactly what i mean you too have been drawn into it, by absolute BIG SWEAR WORD IDIOTS who think by slandering me with lies and ANOTHER BIG SWEAR WORD across the internet and instigating phone calls will destroy all the work i have done breeding and keeping my uk captive bred tortoises as well as all the re-homing I have done and taking in of sick and old tortoises some with major medical issues.
I pay all there vet bills through my own way the sale of a few captive bred HEALTHY UK bred baby tortoises through the year dose help cover the costs of vet bills etc.
I must say though they tried in vain to get to me but I’m made of hard stuff and was water of a ducks back to me actually we laughed about how pathetic and adamant they were what a waste of life .
I got followed from forum to forum getting abuse all the time reason why me and Sarah decided to set up are own forum one where we can be in peace from the BIG SWEAR WORD IDIOTS who try trouble making amongst us all and we do no there members of shelled warriors they just haven’t come out the wood work yet but they will I’m sure the need to trouble make is a major issue with some of them one in particular a name we will not mention as I would be as low as this individual if I did .
Now as tgDarren has stated people are suspicious of regular breeders of uk captive bred tortoises as 1 this will put a stop to the sale of wild caught animals if CB ARE regularly offered for sale 2 it buts are dealer friends out of business slightly as more people are successfully breeding uk bred animals the need for these wild caught etc tortoises is no longer as profitable market for them as once was, so destroy the name of the uk breeder and hopefully they can regain the sale of there own imported tortoises.
Lisa maybe this was the reason for the abuse to you did they now your reds were from me we may never no but unfortunately they will never go away I’m a afraid and good honest folk like you and me and other good regular breeders of UK bred tortoises will all ways be targeted by these abuses.
I would like to take this opportunity to say A BIG THANK YOU to all the people who stood by me through the more difficult times I can say you are true friends
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #16
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

As you say darren, they simply are not worth water of a ducks back or the worry, i could say more about them, but i'll not go there today lol xxxxx
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #17
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I have the upmost resect for you darren. I have been to your many times and you work so hard with your animals and spend so much money on the up keep of them. It makes me mad when stupid people target you making you think twise about selling your tortoises. The money that you make goes straight back into your tortoises, i have seen all those trex bulbs you brought.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #18
tgidarren
Egg

Piglet-Darren,

Completely agree!

Just to pick up on a point you made. One of the greatest satisfactions I get from breeding tortoises (and I know many others feel the same) apart from the obvious seeing an egg pip and hatch, is that it's hopefully stopped some being taken from the wild to be sold merely for greed by dealers with no thought for their poor unfortunate "commodity". I only wish there were more responsible breeders in the UK. I'd love to see a complete ban on importation of any animals for the pet trade. Apart from the fact we all know most of these animals are wild-caught, the few that are captive bred still have to endure horrible conditions in holding bays and a nightmare journey to their destination.

One of the reasons why websites and forums, like this, giving names of reputable breeders and pointing out the problems purchasing from pet shops, garden centres and a majority of internet based sellers are so important.

That's it, I've had my say, I'll climb down from my soap box now and apologise for banging on.

TgiDarren
tgidarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
tgidarren
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
I had one delightful keeper who decided to have a go at breaking up my marrige. By getting an
equally low keeper to post a valentines card to my husband. Thankfully someone told me before
hand so I was aware of it. Told my husband and he could not believe anyone could be so dispicable.

Sandy,

I heard about this recently and I'm absolutely disgusted anyone would stoop so low as to do such a thing. What an Absolutely Disgraceful!!! way for someone to behave.

TgiDarren
tgidarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #20
Becks
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
that is terrible what a low life scum bag luv becks xxxxxxx
i really cant belive some ppl

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote