Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Events/Meetings

Old 14-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I'm still trying to understand your quest to destroy the BCG. It seems so out of character. There is obviously something person going on.

On a side note... did you talk to Henk... and how did the Box Turtle presentation go?
Thanks Ed,
Very good chat with Henk, as I was sitting next to him, for most of the day. It was also good, to catch up with many others whom attended the Symposium.
I think you would have enjoyed the day yourself.
My subsequent talk on Box Turtles with was given to the Essex group; Tortoise South east, also went vet well. Once again, I am amazed at the attendance that these regional groups get.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
EJ
Adult

I so wish I would have gotten off my ass and attended. There was no reason I couldn't have made it.

Did Steve go with you?

The hobby is taking hold what with the internet and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Thanks Ed,
Very good chat with Henk, as I was sitting next to him, for most of the day. It was also good, to catch up with many others whom attended the Symposium.
I think you would have enjoyed the day yourself.
My subsequent talk on Box Turtles with was given to the Essex group; Tortoise South east, also went vet well. Once again, I am amazed at the attendance that these regional groups get.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Box girl
Sub Adult

Pity would have been good to meet up again.
Quote:
I so wish I would have gotten off my ass and attended. There was no reason I couldn't have made it.

Did Steve go with you?

The hobby is taking hold what with the internet and all.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
Geomyda
Adult

Default Question

I recently received, from the British Herpetological Society, (another Reptile Charity I have been involved with for many decades), the draft minutes for the forthcoming AGM which is scheduled for the 26th March 2011. These were first sent to members registered with email address, via an email, then published on their Website, and finally, a postal copy too.
A clear example, I think of a very acceptable means of communicating with their membership. Getting the draft minutes from the previous years AGM, well in advance of the 2011 meeting, where they will be discussed and voted upon, permits all members to peruse the content whether or not they actually attended the previous meeting.
Such a policy, reflects sound "Common sense", and permits an efficient handling of the formalities at the forthcoming meeting.
WHY, can these simple and courteous policies be reflected in this organisation and yet so obviously,be lacking in the British Chelonia Group?
Old 15-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
EJ
Adult

I think... to answer your question... the BHS seems to have embraced this medium and the BCG is still struggling with it.

I still can't get my head wrapped around the idea that the BCG is doing something... anything... clandestine

Quote:
I recently received, from the British Herpetological Society, (another Reptile Charity I have been involved with for many decades), the draft minutes for the forthcoming AGM which is scheduled for the 26th March 2011. These were first sent to members registered with email address, via an email, then published on their Website, and finally, a postal copy too.
A clear example, I think of a very acceptable means of communicating with their membership. Getting the draft minutes from the previous years AGM, well in advance of the 2011 meeting, where they will be discussed and voted upon, permits all members to peruse the content whether or not they actually attended the previous meeting.
Such a policy, reflects sound "Common sense", and permits an efficient handling of the formalities at the forthcoming meeting.
WHY, can these simple and courteous policies be reflected in this organisation and yet so obviously,be lacking in the British Chelonia Group?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
Old 15-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
I think... to answer your question... the BHS seems to have embraced this medium and the BCG is still struggling with it.

I still can't get my head wrapped around the idea that the BCG is doing something... anything... clandestine
I really thought, that you were intending to join this group and get involved more with them?
Old 15-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
EJ
Adult

I've been intending to join both the BCG and the BHS but haven't out of shear lazyness. I was a member of the BHS for about 10 years.

I don't see how I can get any more involved than I have and really don't think I have any right to have a say in policy.

Quote:
I really thought, that you were intending to join this group and get involved more with them?
and
Old 15-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
I've been intending to join both the BCG and the BHS but haven't out of shear lazyness. I was a member of the BHS for about 10 years.

I don't see how I can get any more involved than I have and really don't think I have any right to have a say in policy.
No, unless you join, you will not have a vote. Also, to understand their policy, it is important to access their Newsletter. As this is the only real organ of communication. Their website, sadly is a little short on detail.
For instance, currently it does not even have the date of their AGM in the calandar.
Old 15-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #19
andy1
Hatched

Hi all

I enjoyed the day , and the talks. Very good , especially liked the talk about alternative means of viewing inside chelonia with X-ray, endoscopes and ultrasound.

as for the EGM ...... didnt involve me as im not a member. But had a good chat with Paul ,Paul and Henk and a few others instead.

I will definetly go again.

Andy

3 groups of adult indian stars

2 breeding groups . , babies expected from august 2012onwardslewis.67@googlemail.com
andy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #20
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Hi all

I enjoyed the day , and the talks. Very good , especially liked the talk about alternative means of viewing inside chelonia with X-ray, endoscopes and ultrasound.

as for the EGM ...... didnt involve me as im not a member. But had a good chat with Paul ,Paul and Henk and a few others instead.

I will definetly go again.

Andy
Sadly, I too missed the EGM. as I had refused to sign the "Gagging order" laid down by the Chairman and his deputy, which had been given to me as a pre condition to regaining my membership of this august group of Chelonian enthusiasts. However, I did enjoy the Symposium earlier in the day and it was good to meet you aswell Andy.The Symposium itself, had a very good assemblage, of worthy speakers, only interupted by the afternoon fire alarm and the odd comment, from the MC.
For my money, Sharon Redrobe, gave a truly excellent presentation on "New ways to see inside Tortoises". Maybe, she might be persuaded to give another Talk next year entitiled; "New ways to look inside a Chelonia Group"? I am sure, with a suitable endoscope the subject would prove very illuminating!
I do hope however, there is an ACCURATE record of the minutes of this EGM which can be communicated to the whole membership, as for so very many, They remain ignorant of the proposals, being discussed and voted upon?
I myself, finished the day by dashing off to an Essex Tortoise group, to give them a talk on North American Box Turtles.