Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
johnathan9757
Egg

Default Advise needed regarding incubator

Hi all again as im sure quite a few of you are aware I posted on here about a week ago about my incubator failure and would like to thank everyone for their advise and support, but am faced with another concern and wondered if anyone could advise.
Following the failure of my incubator I purchased a new one which is a zoo med reptibator all I could get at very short notice, I don't know if anyone has used one or uses one, it is ok but I am finding that I am having to set the incubator to 37 degrees c to achieve 31.5 at egg level, the elements are in the top as is the thermostat for the incubator which obviously is reading the temperature at the top of the incubator, not the level where the eggs are in the bottom. I am very worried about overheating the eggs I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer in there at the same level as the eggs which is a max / min one and is showing that it is holding temps between 31 and 31.5degrees at the level of the eggs I also have 2 mercury thermometers and 2 hygrometers which also show around these temps and all showing 74% humidity although I cant get the humidity any higher not for want of trying, the incubator display is saying 60% humidity. I am so worried about ruining the eggs.
Also since my incubator failed and the eggs got cooled I candled them last night most of them seem to be developing well from what I understand they should be looking like around day 25 to 28 but one or two do not seem as far developed as the others they are showing definite veins but the embryos seem not as developed as they others and much smaller than the others but good veins can be seen, I wondered if the cool down will have put these eggs back or even stopped them developing altogether sorry to keep asking questions but your advise is invaluable to me this is only the 2nd time I have incubated and it is totally nerve wreaking my first time sadly I had fully formed babies which never hatched, which makes me even more worried.
johnathan9757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Hello sounds to me like you are over complicating things Like you say the if the heat eliment and thermostat probe are at the top the temps will be diferent at the bottom so i would ignore the built in read out and just put a thermostat probe in the tub where the eggs are and the same for you humidity if you have room put the biggest tub you can fit in if that's not enough to get the humidity up damp some sponges and put then around your tub with the eggs in and try not to open it to often for long periods of time. As for the eggs they sound ok and might of been slowed up a bit but as long as you can see veins i wouldn't worry and just remember they can hatch before and long after their hatch dates i have one now that is two weeks overdue
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
johnathan9757
Egg

Hi there thanks once again it means a lot to me for the advise, you lot will be sick of me lol. Im just a real worrier with anything and appreciate the reassurance
Old 03-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathan9757 View Post
Hi there thanks once again it means a lot to me for the advise, you lot will be sick of me lol. Im just a real worrier with anything and appreciate the reassurance
We never get fed up with questions the more the better
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Stellanne
Hatchling

Hi Jonathan, I too bought the same incubator you have, likewise after having the same as you had failed. I did just as Gordon suggested. Ignore the built in readings and set yourself up with an external thermometer and humidity reader and place the probe at egg level. I found it worked a treat. Good luck with your eggs x x x hugs
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
johnathan9757
Egg

Thank you guys very much