Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
lucy1234
Egg

Default Baby Egyptian tortoises

Hi all i have just purchased 2 baby egyptian tortoises from a local breeder and have gained lot's of information from them but anyone who has some on her that can share any advice that i may benifit from would be great. I am so pleased with them they are so small only just 2 inch in length lost in their new tortoise table. Lucy
Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
carl20
Hatchling

hi lucy, i am so jealous.
I havent any advice, i havent kept or seen these b4 but darren looks after them at his zoo i think so he will probably help ya and i think dan has some too.

Can i ask which breeder u got them from and how much they cost ya? PM< me if u want
and can we see some pics please
Old 11-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Lucy,
I keep and breed Egyptian tortoises, so if you have any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them for you.

Dan
Old 11-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
clairekentuk
Incubating

Wow does the breeder have any more? My brother loves these.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
michaela
Incubating

i have a baby egyptian as well. where did you get yours? they might be related. mine was hatched on 06.01.06 and weighs 16g
Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
lucy1234
Egg

Default wow so many questions

wow, well we did spend a bit more than our first budget but they where the last 2 available this year, next ones will be ready early next year well that is what the breeders said. The eggs are all reserved by the seller i got them from his name is Dean and he works from his home. He arranged for the breeders to bring along the 4 parents so we could scan them for the micro chip numbers all where correct. Dean buys and reserves all their tortoises thats all i know.He said normally the breeders do not want to meet the buyers but as we insisted to meet them he arranged it for us at his home. We paid £1000 for the 2 babies but they are well worth it even though i think a new car is out of the question now as we used some of the deposit for a new car to pay for them. All i know about the breeders is that they live in Kent the paperwork is in Deans name so have not got the breeders address or name. I think they are very private people and don't have visit's to their home for security reasons. They have settled in and are doing fine eating and drinking. I have srpinkled the calcium and multi vitamins on their food as advised and have loads of care sheets and information on them.
Just a few questions i have 2 aplications to have the tortoises changed into my name i have step by step guid on how to fill out the forms and applications but it states i have to send the yellow certificates with the application should i photo copy them first just incase.
Also on the paperwork at the top it has D.C.TORTOISES and a id number do i just put my name and full address in there as that is what the step by step guide states just wondered why it has not got Deans address in the box.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
carl20
Hatchling

isnt dc tortoise a dealer.

yes u shopuld photocopy the paperwork if u have to send it off
Old 12-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

He is reputed to be.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
Old 12-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
SCiARA
Incubating

love to see some pics of them, what type of setup do you have?

3 female Hermanni Boettgeri 2 5yr & 1 6yr olds
Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
lucy1234
Egg

Well he was very kind to us and arranged for the breeders to meet us and bring along the adult egyptians to his home. I guess you can call it dealing in tortoises as he buys and sells them but i don't think he is in it big time as he only has a few tortoises at his home. He showed us around his home and we saw his own collection that he said he was having to sell due to money situation so i doulbt he is making much money as he has a large collection of his own which must take up a lot of his time and money. I would say he is a breeder as he breeds rare tortoises but at the same time i would also say he is a dealer as he sells other breeders tortoises. I only saw UK captive bred tortoises at his home as the breeder who the egyptians are from sells him all their tortoises and they breed about 8 different species from what i can remember them saying. Like i say he was polite helpfull and after seeing the way he keeps all his tortoises i would say he cares alot about them aswell. He seemed said that he was having to sell his collection to pay bills like we all do. Sorry i can't help anymore but i am happy with my 2 babies and they are healthy and that is all that matters to me.
Closed Thread