Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
rodneypig
Incubating

Default I Placed An Advert On Slowcoach

Hello all! Due to your kind advice regarding getting a girlfriend for my Hermanns, I have placed an ad on slowcoach. I have advertised for a female roughly the same age and have arranged separate accomodation for her so that she can be introduced to him after her six months quarantine. I have now received an email stating that " I shouldn't have a male and a female together as the male will attack the female" and that the correct ratio is "one male to atleast three females. I'm surprised the Tortoise Trust people didn't tell you this on your course"
Obviously I am now completely confused, I am in the process of arranging a female with a chap called Brian in Surrey ( anyone know him by the way?) do I cancel or do I have to get three! Someone help me!
rodneypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
carl20
Hatchling

it is true that that is a better ratio.

My advice is that you already will have a seperate enclosure built for quarantine so when you have introduced your torts then if the male pesters the female for sex or they fight then i would put her back in her own enclosure and you have no problems except finding room for two enclosures.

If you intend to breed then the stated ratio is better but you can breed your hermanns by keeping them seperate then introducing them on occasions.

Never allow them to fight or the male pester the female otherwise you will end up with sick stressed torts
Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
piglet
Adult

Great advise Carl couldn't of put it better my self
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
rodneypig
Incubating

So the likelyhood is that he will just pester her? I was hoping to keep them together most of the time - so I would be better off with two or more?
rodneypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #5
piglet
Adult

If you wish to house them together on a regular basis then yes you will have to look for at least 2-3 females but even then there is always the chance he will single one out ad pester her more than the others you can never really say what the out come will be he may very well be fine with just one female .
I have two pairs of horsfields who are known for there aggressive behaviour towards the females mine get on fine and are housed permanently together with only the odd amorous adventure
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
arlene

My males and females live together quite happily, but they have the run of a good sized garden - I think that if you keep both, you need to make sure that they have as much room as possible and the female has lots of places she can hide away in to have a peaceful snooze!

all the best

Arlene