Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Default Looking for a Hermann breeder in Scotland!

Hi everyone I am Sharon and I have been looking into getting a hermann tortoise.I have found out loads of infomation thanks to your wonderful forum
I was tempted to buy one from a pet shop in Edinburgh but after reading everything on here I decided against it.
I did ask a few more questions about the tortoise in the pet shop and I found out that yes they were from abroad and had been in there for 6 weeks.I asked about the CITES but they were waiting for them to come in
I then phoned DEFRA and told them and she said straight away do NOT buy as they get this all the time.I had no intention of buying it by then anyway!
They also told me that they do NOT hibinate and that they are fine in Vivariums
Infact they were selling a package deal on a viv.

My question to you all is are there any breeders in Scotland?,I am on the East coast Dunfermline.

And also what do you think of sites such as tortoise shop.com for buying a tortoise or http://www.buyatortoise.info/default.htm

I know you only have their word on where they are bred which is why I would prefer a local breeder.

Thank you in advance
Sharon
Pitcorthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Hi welcome to the site. I'm glad you didnt decide to but from the petshop . Sites such as buyatorotise are also a no no I would steer clear. I'm afraid I dont know of any breeders in scotland but I remember soemone somewhere asking before (might have been another site) I think they found one in the end. I will have a look back on some sites and see if I can find any for you. I'm sure someone here will know a breeder near you.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Great Thank you very much

Sharon
Old 28-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
vivp
Hatched

hi i dont know of any breeders but i did buy my 2 torts from buy a tortoise, they are both fine and healthy but where not breeder over here.
vivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Really what breed did you get? Did you get the paperwork ok (if your breed needed it)

Sharon
Old 29-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Now I don't want to sound like I'm having a go at anybody here. Viv, although your torotises are ok this is not always the case. Also by encouraging people to buy from dealers and petshops we are supporting the trade in imported torotises, because the more they sell the more they import. Aslo consider the stress the tortise goes through when its sent through the post. It really is best to buy from a breeder to avoid these possible problems.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Totally agree But how do you find out where all the decent breeders are? I can't find anybody who knows anyone in Scotland
I am willing to travel down further south but obviously because of the stress on the tortoise the nearer the better.
I understand I may have to wait a year or so but I know it will be worth it as I would HATE to be supporting poachers

Sharon
Old 29-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
pmullen

same problem over here!
Old 29-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Sharon, welcome to this great forum.

All of my tortoises were got from England, I collected them by car and sailed over to Ireland on the ferry. I believe they were not under any traumatic stress, if you get your tortoise set up in their tortoise tub with bedding etc in it they are really non the wiser traveeling on the back seat of the car.

If you do however have a long journey break it up stopping on the roadside and giving them a little dip in their water dish which obviously isn't in the tub when travelling.

I also try and travel late in the day by which time they tend to be bedding down for the night too.

I hope this helps a bit.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Pitcorthie
Hatched

Thanks for the tips Ade

Sharon