Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
HannahVictoriaxo
Egg

Default Should I get my tortoise microchipped?

I have a hermanns tortoise, and I got him about 5 maybe 6 years ago now. Was just wondering if I should bother getting him microchipped? Do I need to do it? Someone told me once I had to because of something to do with the law :S just wanted an opinion off of someone else on this.
Also, if I did get him chipped, does anyone know roughly how much it would cost me ?

Thanks.

- Hannah. Xx

2 Hermanns tortoises, Turbo and Sev.
1 African grey parrot, barney.
2 hamsters, Bella and Eric.
R.I.P Tara the dog. <3
HannahVictoriaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Improvise
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to Improvise

Worth getting it done, especially if you keep him/her outdoors.
Old 16-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
paulus
Hatched

Hi
You only need to by law get him microchipped if you intend on selling him or breeding from him, you would also need to update his a10 paper work for either of these activities. Lots of posts explaining a10's if your not sure on what this is.

As improvise has said its worth getting him done if he goes outside incase he decides to go walkies and then someone finding him can get him back to you or the thing that seems to be happening more and more these days he is stolen you then have proof he is yours.

As for cost I guess it varies with vet but I think it's around £25 if my memory serves me right, so not too bad.
1.0.0 guinea pigs Rosie rip prince boy
0.0 rabbit baby rabbit RIP 23-9-2011
paulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
HannahVictoriaxo
Egg

Thank you!
I think I will invest in a microchip for him. I live in an area where we have some people living to the back of our house that would see him out in the garden through the fence their children have broke and possibly take him. So I think I will get him done.
Thanks for your help!

- Hannah. X

2 Hermanns tortoises, Turbo and Sev.
1 African grey parrot, barney.
2 hamsters, Bella and Eric.
R.I.P Tara the dog. <3
HannahVictoriaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

if you do get him chipped then it would pay to update his cert whether you intend to sell/breed or not, once it's done it's done for good plus there is talk that the cost of an adult cert in your name is going to go up quite drastically. At the moment its still £25 so get it done before the big increase, chipping varies in cost some places have promotions in certain months so ask the vet if they are haveing a cheap chip week.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Marcusanthony24
Egg

Regarding cost: If my tortoise wasn't already registered then that would cost about £30+£25 for microchipping and I think it was another £25 to update A10. Seems like a lot of money. I know the international tortoise association in Sully microchip. Can anyone recommend them?

Marcus
Marcusanthony24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
paulus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusanthony24 View Post
Regarding cost: If my tortoise wasn't already registered then that would cost about £30+£25 for microchipping and I think it was another £25 to update A10. Seems like a lot of money. I know the international tortoise association in Sully microchip. Can anyone recommend them?

Marcus
You would only need to register it once, just use the a10 number you were given when you purchased the tortoise along with the microchip number you will get when the chip is inserted by the vet. If you have a hermanns but no number then you need to go back to where you got it and ask them for the number.
1.0.0 guinea pigs Rosie rip prince boy
0.0 rabbit baby rabbit RIP 23-9-2011
paulus is offline   Reply With Quote