Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #21
sprakey34
Egg

Yes, so I believe- 29 to 30 degrees. Oh well, patience will have to come into play.
Meriel
sprakey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #22
Suze65
Adult

As the egg fills up, you won't see any veins, it just looks dark, then when the inner membrane starts to pull away, it gradually looks white and empty.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #23
sprakey34
Egg

OK,thanks. I will watch out for that. Fingers crossed.
Meriel.x
Old 03-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #24
Gordon
Adult

As Suze says no veins will be visible and you will get a big air sack appear in the top of the egg you will also see the egg go a greyish colour when it does this its about ready to hatch.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #25
sprakey34
Egg

Now have 2 beautiful babies. One hatched yesterday, took about 1hour and one hatched this afternoon, took almost 24hours from first tiny crack in shell. Both 11g and a bit wonky in shape but starting to straighten out. Both had absorbed the yolk sac, have both had a drink and one has eaten.So excited, can't believe I had such luck first time with homemade incubator.They are in a small tortoise table- got a small coffee table from local tip and my partner put wooden sides on it for me. They have basking and uv light, are on newspaper until umbilicals close, have some shelter and a jam jar lid as water dish. Any advice on something I may have missed please.
Many thanks
Meriel
Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #26
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprakey34 View Post
Now have 2 beautiful babies. One hatched yesterday, took about 1hour and one hatched this afternoon, took almost 24hours from first tiny crack in shell. Both 11g and a bit wonky in shape but starting to straighten out. Both had absorbed the yolk sac, have both had a drink and one has eaten.So excited, can't believe I had such luck first time with homemade incubator.They are in a small tortoise table- got a small coffee table from local tip and my partner put wooden sides on it for me. They have basking and uv light, are on newspaper until umbilicals close, have some shelter and a jam jar lid as water dish. Any advice on something I may have missed please.
Many thanks
Meriel
Many congratulations. How exciting. I will leave advice to the experts as I have never had hatchlings.

Looking forward to some photographs when you have a minute. I can imagine they are keeping you occupied.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #27
sprakey34
Egg

Thank you Jan, if I can work photo bucket out I will try to put photos on. I certainly am spending lots of time watching them.
Meriel
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Many thanks
Meriel
Congratulations.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #29
CherryBrandy
Adult

congratulations, me too will leave to those best placed who have bred before. Really well done though. Amazing CB
Old 10-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #30
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Many thanks
Meriel
They can easily flip themselves over, so check regularly, if they do flip and you are not sure for how long, just put them in water to make sure they keep hydrated. If you are going out and are worried about this just turn the heat off, and treat it as a cloudy day. They will just bury down, and will be fine.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote