Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
nk1314
Egg

Unhappy Sulcata Tortoise Bubbly Nose

Dear All,
My Sulcata Tortoise aged 1 year old has a runny nose. The runny nose only happens at night he is kept inside a tortoise home. He has a UVA/UVB light during the day and a Heat lamp for the night. The hot side of the tank is kept at around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. He is eating well and very livley. He has the bubbly nose for about 2 months now. I've brought him to the doctor a few times. First they gave him shots then after, the bubbly nose went away but it's back. He is on a diet of romaine lettuce, bermuda hay and komoda tortoise food, he also frequently chews on a turtle bone and is bathed daily.

Thanks
nk1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk1314 View Post
Dear All,
My Sulcata Tortoise aged 1 year old has a runny nose. The runny nose only happens at night he is kept inside a tortoise home. He has a UVA/UVB light during the day and a Heat lamp for the night. The hot side of the tank is kept at around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. He is eating well and very livley. He has the bubbly nose for about 2 months now. I've brought him to the doctor a few times. First they gave him shots then after, the bubbly nose went away but it's back. He is on a diet of romaine lettuce, bermuda hay and komoda tortoise food, he also frequently chews on a turtle bone and is bathed daily.

Thanks
well to start with 80f = about 26c which is far to low , needs to be 34c basking temp during the day and 20c plus during the night , your tortoise needs a course of baytryl antibiotic given daily for 10 days, my advice would be to see a vet for this. Although you could try increasing the temps and see if it clears up first.

Last edited by NATURALIS; 01-12-2011 at 04:20 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
ElHein
Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ElHein

The temperature could be a big part of the problem, yes. Set it to around 35 likr posted above and check for improvement. Do you have a hygrometer? Whats the humidity in your enclosure?
ElHein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
nk1314
Egg

50 percent humidity
nk1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
ElHein
Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to ElHein

After a quick google, I found out that they thrive in hundity, as they live in humid burrows. But maybe try to create a burrow that's more moist than the rest of the enclosure. At least for the duration of the illness. I would recomend that the rest of the enclosure is ambient-like and maybe pretty dry. Moisr aor and low temperature are pwrfect conditions for a respiratory infection good luck! I'm sure he'll be fine.
ElHein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Paulg1
Adult

Sullys don't "thrive" in humidity. Young sulcata do need regular soakings at least three a week. A humid "hide" is probably best. As said up the temps. What substrate is he on and is he in a table or viv?

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bubbly nose, help me, sick, sulcata, tortoise