Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jemma1
Default [dead] after hibernation?

I didnt really know what to name this thread, but i will tell you all what has happened so far...

I have 11 horsfields and 4 hermanns

I had woken all of the torts up in the last couple of weeks except for 3 horsfields, which i was planning on waking up this week. Anyway, when i noticed the fridge has dropped to 1c, i thought what the heck, i'll get them up now (it had only been at 1c for a couple of hours max). I put their boxes on top of the fridge for 10 mins or so, whilst i got their bath ready. At this point, all 3 tortoises looked the same to me... eyes shut, healthy looking.

I placed them all in the warm water for around about 15 minutes. I then picked them up 1 by 1. Toshka's (7 yr old female) eyes were open, limbs moving, alert, fine. Same for Arnie (15'ish yr old male). Then i picked up pumpkin and all limbs were totally limp, eyes shut, and head flopping back and forth as i moved him. I warmed the water up for another 25 mins and still nothing.

So then.. i phoned bindi (and text, fb'd and messaged on here until she answered me!) in a panic, and took him straight to her to see what she tought. We both decided that he was dead, as he was quite literally lifeless. Still, we decided we should put him under a lamp for the rest of the day just in case.

Whilst i was driving home, i was convinced his leg moved slightly by itself, but shrugged it off as muscular after they die. I put him under the lamp and his front leg moved slightly again if i touched it. After about 3 hours, and a chat to danny, he started moving all of his legs slightly and moving his head. His head was, however spasming every so often or when i touched him... i'm wondering if this is brain damage.

For the night i put a heat mat under the soil in his enclosure at 28c, and thismorning he seems to be the same as when i left him. no better, but no worse.

He is very weak, and when i think he has progressed a bit more, i am taking him to the vets and preparing the bank for a hefty bill.

Does anyone have any ideas what so ever what could have gone wrong?
1c for a short period SHOULD NOT be life threatening to healthy horsfields?
The other 2 coped fine.
I have had him since hatchling 7 years ago, and he has never ever had any problems, been fed a healthy diet and has excellent growth. He only lost 6g throughout hibernation, i would just love some answers.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Oh Gemma I dont have any answers im afraid apart from could he have had an underlying illness that you hadnt detected perhaps? Just wanted to say what an awful couple of days you must be having, my worse nightmare! I hope something can be done for him. Thank goodness you knew Bindi & had help.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Herpard
Adult

I don't really know what to say Jemma

Fingers Crossed!!
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

I sincerely hope that something can be done for Pumpkin and that he is ok
Anita x
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
skildpadde
Incubating

I'm so sorry to hear this Jemma.
I hope the vet will be able to help your tortoise.
If the worst happens and he dies, your best option for finding out what happened may be to have a post mortem done.
I'm hoping for the best for you.

2.0.0 Testudo Graeca Ibera
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
1.0.0 Budgerigar
0.1.0 Border terrier
1.0.0 Tabby cat
0.0.6 Discus fish
Numerous other fish
skildpadde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
TortBabe
Adult

I'm so sorry to hear this
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Sorry to hear this Jemma but you have two great people helping you ... good luck
Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Jemma,

Really sorry to hear this, hope he's ok.
I think you are doing the right thing with a heat mat to provide some gentle warmth but be careful putting him under a lamp. If he cant move away from it he might overheat.

Dave.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
samincornwall
Hatched

Oh no I hope it works out for you

I love my tortoises, Glastonbury (And most other festivals) and Leonard Cohen.
samincornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I can only think it was the bath basicly right out of the fridge. It's a big shock to the system to warm up that fast and to put them in water right away. I can only think for one reason or another he stopped breathing, whether that was from a shock to his system or getting his head under water. I'm not sure which it was.
I like a much more gentle way of waking up. I'd leave a tortoise that just came out of hibernation at room temperature until the shell doesn't feel really cold to the touch. This may take 6 or so hours. This allows the tortoise to warm gradually and not all at once. When the tortoise is more able to control his/her reactions (ie. warmer), than I'd do a bath. After the bath I'd set them up in their enclosure.
Just remember that wind down is done gradually, so wind up should be done gradually also.

I hope he's doing better soon Jemma.

Danny