Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 15-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Hibernating

Just wondering to myself about hibernating tortoises. Not something I've ever done think I would be too scared to get it wrong but what do zoo's do with there's any one know? Do they hibernate them? Does everyone hibernate there's? I do feel I may be opening a can of worms here but and genuinely interested in what others do with there's.
Old 15-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

that is a good question, never though about what zoos do...
I hibernate mine, I use the fridge so I can monitor them easily and know they are safe from things like rodents... I still really worry about them... but this is a cold flat so find it easier than overwintering as I would worry that they would get too cold...
I far from think it is important to hibernate them, it is all the choice of the keeper, different things work for different people, for example I could keep them in a viv, but then they would be far too warm in the summer when the flat gets really hot! so I believe for me hibernating is the best option, but that is not so for everyone!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
Just wondering to myself about hibernating tortoises. Not something I've ever done think I would be too scared to get it wrong but what do zoo's do with there's any one know? Do they hibernate them? Does everyone hibernate there's? I do feel I may be opening a can of worms here but and genuinely interested in what others do with there's.
Zoo can hibernate if they wated to, as they use the large walk in fridges.
I know "animal park zoo" sorry the name wont come for it, they use their large fridges to hibernate their tortoises.
I have hibernated my tortoises for the last 34yrs, and not lost a tortoise to hibernation yet.
If done correctly its not a problem, only for the keeper. Its stressful the first time, but after that its a doddel :0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Zoo can hibernate if they wated to, as they use the large walk in fridges.
I know "animal park zoo" sorry the name wont come for it, they use their large fridges to hibernate their tortoises.
I have hibernated my tortoises for the last 34yrs, and not lost a tortoise to hibernation yet.
If done correctly its not a problem, only for the keeper. Its stressful the first time, but after that its a doddel :0)
Me too, 40 years, I've been doing it. Agreed on all points.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

I overwinter. I'm not against hibernation but I made a decision not to after researching both sides thoroughly. I'd feel wretched if I lost a tort in hibernation.
It's a personal decision Cheryl. Do what you feel is best for you and your torts. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
cherylahutch
Adult

I don't do it like I said mainly because I would be scared to but also they are my pets and I like having them around. I was just really interested what zoos do. I'm going to blackpool zoo on Sunday to see the tortoises might ask if I see a keeper
Old 15-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
I was just really interested what zoos do. I'm going to blackpool zoo on Sunday to see the tortoises might ask if I see a keeper
Longleat use large drink chiller cabinets (as Sandy has already mentioned ), 5°C, 4% max weightloss.

I went out and bought a fridge after watching the Longleat keepers checking their hibernating tortoises on the TV programme. Later I bought a digital thermostat to control said fridge, for me this is so much better than box hibernating and relying on nature to supply a suitable temperature that isn't too high or too low.

It was actually warmer here mid winter than it is now.

(and no rats etc to worry about with fridge hibernation as Merlin has already mentioned )
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

I have a sense this thread is going to go into the red corner and blue corner scenario again and Cheryl's question will get buried at the back..lol xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
cherylahutch
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
I have a sense this thread is going to go into the red corner and blue corner scenario again and Cheryl's question will get buried at the back..lol xx
Probably true but a good debate is fine lol
Old 15-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

I agreexx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote